HELP! Voice Commands No Longer Working?!?

USMCsilver

Reaction score
When I hit the "Home" button twice to bring up voice commands, I get the following error box popping up:
Sorry! The application Voice Coammands (process.com.nuance.android.vsuite.vsuiteapp) has stopped. Please try again."
The force close box opens up for me to press.

This happens when a dual-press of home is done, or when I try to hit the microphone on my "Keyboard 2" app is pressed.
I can, however, hit the magnifying glass in the bottom and use the voice prompt to search for stuff.
Ideas? Fixes?

Unrooted and the newest OTA update.

Thanks! :cool:

gsDroid

Reaction score
Do you have a different launcher than the stock launcher and a non-stock keyboard? If so, do you have the problem if you revert to the stock launcher and keyboard? What happens if you just choose 'Voice Commands' from your app drawer?

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Had something similar happen after installing another keyboard app some time ago. Can't recall the name, but finally tossed it, then voice commands seemed to work BTW, you may want to look at the Vlingo app for voice commands. Been messing around with it, pretty cool!

OP
U

USMCsilver

Reaction score
I have the factory launcher.

When I go to the app drawer, and select Voice Commands, it gives the the same error.

The "Thumb Keyboard 4" has been on there for several months. This all only started happening a couple of weeks ago.

I'm thinking about doing a "return to factory settings" boot on it. I HATE the idea of doing this, but this phone's really starting to piss me off.

Any other ideas?

Nothing I can simply delete w/ Astro and then D/L a fresh file or program?

Thanks! :p

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Would suggest going into settings > voice input & output and check to see what "voice recognizer" is set to.... Try setting to "Google" if different

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

OP
U

USMCsilver

Reaction score
Would suggest going into settings > voice input & output and check to see what "voice recognizer" is set to.... Try setting to "Google" if different

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

Nope. Nothing funky there.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Have you tried Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Voice Commands, force stop and clear data? If you try this, you will have to go back and redo the voice adaption if it works. Were there any recent updates to your Thumb Keyboard app? Have you tried switching back to the stock kb and restarting just to test?

OP
U

USMCsilver

Reaction score
Okay -- when following the application's path, the "force stop" option was not highlighted. However, I did clear the cache and tried hitting "HOME" twice again, no joy. I still get the error.

I did, however, go and get rid of "Thumb Keyboard 4". With the factory keyboard, I can hit the microphone and I can use speech-to-text.

However, still, when I hit "HOME" twice for voice commands, I still get the error stated in the initial post.

EDIT: also, when I hit "Voice Commands" app in the app drawer, I still get the error box.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Okay, more fun things to try... Found this on another forum, maybe give it a ride? May check it out myself. Would like my search button to open 'Dilbert" :blink:
[APP] HomeSmack - Change double-tap Home and Long-search - Android Forums

Maybe it will let you re-program the hard button to the standard "voice commands" apps, or, something else of your choosing. Homesmack seems to be rated pretty well (see in Android Market)

OP
U

USMCsilver

Reaction score
Bluez, thanks, but I am deciding to DUMP it.

How do I bring back to factory settings? GOD -- I hope this works! I get all sorts of random errors now, too.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Sorry you are having these problems man! Hope the reset work out! Hang in there.

Was noticing your user-name, if you are/were in the Corp, thanks for your service.! am an old Navy vet myself.
Cheers,
dawg

OP
U

USMCsilver

Reaction score
Thanks.

I was in; out in '98. Former 0352.

Did a full refresh.

Funny, but a double-tap of "home" now does nothing.

Oh well... :)

gsDroid

Reaction score
The double-tap thing may just be available with alternate launchers or an app. I can't find an option for it on the stock launcher.

Last edited: