Help updating rooted Froyo 2.2.1 to latest Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by JpAll4Christ, Dec 25, 2011.

1. JpAll4Christ

JpAll4Christ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I am a little new to this so if I am approaching this entirely the wrong way, feel free to let me know. I rooted my DX in February and have not had any of the updates since then. I would like to update it to the newest version there is this phone but am a bit confused as to how to go about this. My Phone information is this:
    DroidX
    Android version: 2.2.1
    Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.17P
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-
    Build #: VZW
    I am running Liberty 2.0.1 ROM and I seen i the ROM manager that there is an update for it, but I need to be in gingerbread first. So my question is this, I see several people saying I need to SBF back to factory 2.2.1, then forward to 2.3.340. (Not sure the exact process but I think I could figure that out) but if I do it this way, then I will loose my root. Is there a way to do this without having to SBF back to factory? I am a bit confused by the different directions given on various sites.

I have Titanium Backup and have already backed up my entire SD card and I think the phone, but I am not sure.

2. clueless77

clueless77 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    did you make a backup of stock rooted in clockwork mod recovery before you flashed liberty in february

3. leftspin

leftspin Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
  4. JpAll4Christ

JpAll4Christ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did not make a recovery mod last February before flashing the Liberty mod and I wish I would have. Here is where I am at so far today. I backed up my apps via Titanium and then SBF'd to .602. I got stuck in a boot loop and tried it four times before I was able to get the data wiped in clockworks, and then it booted up just fine. I am going to take the OTA update to .605 and then root.

Two questions I have at this point is, how do I make that clockwork backup so I can come back to here in the future, should I need it? And is Gingerbreak the best route to go for root?

I really appreciate you guy's help! I feel a little like I'm wearing hip waders in chest-deep water! lol

5. clueless77

clueless77 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    the third link in Leftspin's comment is your root method, very simple

as far as backing up stock rooted, CWM recovery there is an option that says backup and restore, choose that and then select back up and wait

then wipe data, cache, and dalvik same as you did before

for recovery either get Droid 2 bootstrap (cost 1 dolloar) or you could get ROM manger and flash the clockwork recovery in that (Droid X 2nd init) and then reboot to recovery (only use it for rebooting to recovery)

#5 clueless77, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  6. leftspin

leftspin Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Buy the D2 Bootstrap, seriously, it will be worth the money if you like to mess with your phone.

Gingerbreak will not work. As Clueless said, the third link in my previous post is what you need

As far as a backup goes, once you've rooted and have it at a point where you want to go back to should you ever have to SBF again, reboot to Clockwork Recovery, navigate down to Backup and Restore, select Backup and let it do the rest. Then if you ever have to SBF again you can root, install Clockwork Recovery, go to Backup and Restore and restore the backup you made.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I read Clueless' post again and realized I just repeated everything he said

7. JpAll4Christ

JpAll4Christ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do have the D2 Bootstrap but in my case it's the case of just because the guy has all the rights tools, that doesn't necessarily make him a master carpenter. :blink: :p I am very grateful for you guys who help us nerd wanna-be's through the rough spots!

8. clueless77

clueless77 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So I'm guessing you got it going, and no problem that's why the forums are here.

BAD ASS X

9. leftspin

leftspin Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    hey don't sweat it, everyone needs help when they start out and that's what the forums are here for! Keep posting here when you need help and learning new things and you'll be an expert in no time

10. DrDiff

DrDiff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a simmilar boat. Droidmodderx website helped. All the files you need and video to hold your hand as you do the rooting. IMHO... his site should be considered "rooting the DroidX for dummies"!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#10 DrDiff, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  11. PS3Gamer

PS3Gamer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...but we're not dummies, sir.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

12. LoFi

LoFi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since you were on Liberty2, you probably want to go to 3 (which I highly recommend). If you do, don't use a 2nd init recovery.

Sent from my DROIDX

#12 LoFi, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
Search tags for this page
froyo 2.2 1 update
froyo 2.2.1 for motorola cliq password
gingerbread 2.2.1
how to update froyo 2.2.1 to gingerbread
how to upgrade 2.2.1 to gingerbread
how to upgrade android froyo 2.2.1 to gingerbread
root froyo to gingerbread

update froyo 2.2 to gingerbread