Help updating ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DEdwards22, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DEdwards22

DEdwards22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit confused as to what all I need to do in order to update my ROM from 2.1 Bugless Beast 0.8 to 2.2 BB 0.4. I've obviously already rooted my original Droid and everything and I just need to know what to do with the stuff contained in the 2.2 download. I'm being extra cautious with this since I would hate to brick the phone.

I've looked at a few steps in this guide that I used like five months ago for 2.1. I'm just making sure that it's fine for me not to have four files since there was nothing labeled data.tar in the .zip that I downloaded.

Do I just follow steps 27 through 44 in that guide replacing everything with the newer ROM?

2. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using SP recovery, place the .zip file you downloaded on to your sd card, not inside any folders, and rename it to update.zip. Then boot in to recovery mode, click install, allow install, then install update.zip.. Make sure you wipe data and cache, and MAKE BACKUPS!

3. DEdwards22

DEdwards22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, so its pretty much just those steps I said in the guide I posted? Clearing the cache and data leaves the Titanium Backup folder, correct?

4. DEdwards22

DEdwards22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, thanks. I set it up and I've still got everything saved that I had before.

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Matt's tutorial is a little out of date but the steps to install with an update.zip file are still the same. Wiping data and cache will not touch or harm anything you have in Titanium.

I believe that when I installed BB 4 it automatically installed all of my apps so be patient you may not need to restore your apps.

Hope this helps.

Mike

6. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, BB is one of the roms that does restore your apps through Google's Sync, assuming you chose to backup your apps to Google when you first signed in to the phone.. It may take a while to sync them though, so be patient. The one down side to Google Sync is it doesn't restore user app data, so you will have to configure your settings again. TI however does give you the option to restore user data.. Just takes a while longer, since you have to do it app by app.