Help unrooting (...if possible)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MK-9, Apr 22, 2010.

1. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    K, this may not end up well here.

Last night, I fell asleep in the ol' armchair. My droid must've shut off due to low battery while I was sleeping. I woke up. Went into the bedroom, popped the droid into the dock / cradle to charge. It powered up, got to the home screen. When it did, I tried to set an alarm. The phone powered off and then back on. I figured it was some odd glitch or something goofy from the smoked glass rom. It just seems to do the rare occasional odd thing and I assumed this was one of them. Anyways, when it got back to the home screen again. I again attempted to set an alarm. As soon as I went to touch the alarm button, the thing shut off again. This time I could not get it to power on at all. I figured maybe I'd just let it charge for the night. It took a couple times of plugging it in to get the little white charge light to pop on.

This morning I woke up and nothing I was able to do got it to turn on. So, figuring I somehow bricked the phone. I brought it to the Verizon store to see what I could get done. (yes, the phone is rooted and I am running the newest smoked glass) The guy there popped in a new battery and gave me the phone back. Luckily the phone powered on. Both of us figuring it was a quick easy fix were pretty happy. (he couldn't see the screen while I was holding it so he had no idea it was rooted, etc). Initially I was happy thinking I got lucky and the issue was resolved. Unfortunately... now it won't charge. Won't charge via usb pc connection, dock or wall outlet plug.

Obviously I can't take it back without unrooting it. I tried a factory wipe with SPrecovery. I was pretty sure that wouldn't unroot it and of course, it didn't. Is there any way to get this thing unrooted or do a true factory reset so I can exchange the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DroidMod app does that for you I believe.

3. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure if you just run the official 2.1 ota update.zip file that it'll unroot you and take you back to stock. But if the phone won't charge then it might be a problem with your phones usb port

4. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give both options a try guys. Thanks. Will probably try the 2.1 update first. If that works I'll just return it and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for the help both of you.

5. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 update didn't seem to work. It updated to 2.1, but looks like it's still rooted.

6. Ataranine

Ataranine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you do some google searching you can find the ESE53 sbf 2.1 file.. but I believe most of the Droids are running ESE81.

If You REALLY want to go unrooted you could try to find the 2.0.1 sbf file and wait for the OTA update from Verizon?

7. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And that one will override the root?

8. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the free version of rom manager from the market. Go into Download rom section. Then into stock images....the second one on that page 2.01 Stock, not rooted. This should get you unrooted. You might have to flash clockworkmod first....but it is simple and te program does it for you.

or have you tried putting on a different rom? That might fix it or even just doing a reinstall of Adam-Z's with wiping everything first

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  9. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't work. Trust me. The best way to do it is to follow this guide.

10. Ataranine

Ataranine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which is exactly what I was talking about.

11. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    OP read the end of the first post in this threadhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Mike

12. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What makes you think youre still rooted? Cuz you should not be.

Nate

13. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to take so long in responding here. I was able to get the phone to a state where with the exception of the startup screen, appeared to be stock 2.0.1. They took the phone back and gave me a new one with no big issue.

Thanks for the help guys.

14. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I know. But I always have to throw in reference materials, to make peoples lives easier.
    After all, not many people know how to use google anymore. Or forum search for that matter, considering this question appears two or more times on the section's topic list. :p