HELP: unroot didnt go so well :(

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Ry, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i just unrooted via DM updater. it DLed and installed the stock ROM. when it rebooted, my transformers boot animation still showed up, and it wouldnt go past the last screen of that animation :( the last screen is like a scrolling "droid" thing in red letters. it just keep cycling and cycling it. a battery pull didnt do anything. what do i do?!

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
  3. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Can you still boot into SPRecovery? (Hold X while powering up)

Nate

4. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    ha ha thanx. after a couple more boots and fiddling around, i realized that it just gets stuck on the animation; however, the system has booted. if i press the power button to shut off the screen, then press it again, i get the slide unlock. everything seems to be normal from there. guess i just got to figure out how to revert back to the stock boot animation.

also, the DM updater updated me to 2.0.1...WTF? and when i click "check for system updates" in the OS system setting, none show up. i know i can get the file online. i guess now im just debating whether to use signed 2.1 or "rooted" 2.1

i love the root, but i think my phone may be having some issues with the mic, so it may need to be exchanged under warranty soon :sad:

5. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    yeah, i can boot into that (i guess). i did do that, and my options were:

apply "blah blah-update.zip"
    clear cache
    wipe device

and one other i cant remember. none seemed helpful though. i dont want to wipe if i dont have to.

do you guys know how to get back to the old boot animation?

6. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    ok, i wiped it and that fixed the animation. but now its asking me to activate it, but it wont activate (obviously, i already activated the phone!) how the hell do you get past this annoying tutorial?

7. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    That sounds like the stock recovery console. Does it say SPRecover version blahblah.03b or blahblah.o2b or something to that affect or does it say android recovery right at the top of the recovery screen?

DM Updater puts 2.0.1 on your phone cuz that is the ROM that allows root access. From there you get to chose whatever ROM you want but DMUpdater only gives you two options in it's installer...DM version 1. somthing or stock 2.0.1, right. So if you want some other ROM based on a 2.1 you have to put that on your SD card in the bottom directory(root of the sd card), rename it to update.zip and then boot into SPRecovery (which DMUpodater installed on your phone to overwrite the stock recovery) (hold x while powering up) and then chose install update.zip from sd card.

You're doing it right. You just have some more steps to go through. It might be wise to start all over again from step one though

Nate

8. mach330

mach330 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    i was in this stage as well, but i could reactivate again (option 1). What does it say when it fails to activate?

9. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This happened to me before, and it was because I used DMUpdater to goto stock from a 2.1 ROM. All I could figure out to do was to reflash the .sbf file. If you want a guide to do so, then I can point you towards it, but it can mess your Droid up beyond repair if you unplug it by accident.

10. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    it kept saying "your phone cannot be activated at this time" or something like that. i eventually got it to work...guess 9th times the charm :/

running official 2.1 now and just DLed helix launcher (never previously used this). its decent but the app drawer lag is kinda annoying (an issue on stock home and helix).

11. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    To get rid of the lag you will need to go to a custom rom that alloows for over clocking and then buy the 99 cent SetCPU app from the market. Check out the sub forums below the Hacks form and chose one and play around. I read somewhere that 800 mhz is conservative so I tried it. It made an improvement in the lag. I am now running 900. I am about to go 1000 mhz. It's like bunnies multiplying in my head man. I can't stop. But many on the forum are running 1100 or even 1200 and no one rerports blowing up the CPU. Bear in mind...running an overclock will decrease the life expectancy of a cpu. In my case I don't plan to keep my phone long enough to see it croak. I would think it would reduce from a 5 year life expectancy to maybe a 3 year. In 3 years the technology is going to be so far advancd from where Droid is...it won't make a bit of difference to me.

Nate

12. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind donating to the developers great work, then go ahead and buy setCPU off the market. But if you don't want to spend anything right now, then you can head over to forum.xda-developers.com and get it for free from the developer. Just navigate to the G1 Apps part of the forum and you will find him giving it away for free.

#12 Tanknspank, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010