1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help, transferred camera pictures are not viewable on Windows 7 laptop

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by duhFooL, Apr 17, 2012.

1. duhFooL

duhFooL New Member

I just got a Razr MAXX and I've run into this annoying problem.
    When I transfer photos or videos taken on the phone via USB Mass Storage, I cannot view the JPG files on my laptop (Windows 7 updated everything).

If I email the photo to myself from the phone, that image will view just fine.

I noticed there was a slight size difference between the copied file and the emailed one, so I'm wondering if I need to run some special transfer software.
    Nothing it stated on Motorola's website other than to use USB Mass storage mode.

Am I missing something simple here?

There are no problems when viewing on the phone.
    I have the camera set to 6MP widescreen photos, but the same issue occurs on the standard 8MP settings.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Are the files just not showing up on the PC or are they there and you just can't look at them?

----posted maxx'ed out----
  3. duhFooL

duhFooL New Member

The files show up fine on the PC.
    I transfer them via explorer without any problems.
    The only issue is that using MSPaint, the default Windows viewer, IE, or Firefox doesn't work.
    MSPaint and the default viewer claim the file is unreadable/corrupted.

I don't have any advanced image programs on my laptop or desktop, but it looks like I may have to download GIMP.

My feeling is that the format the razr maxx uses isn't quite right, but I'm at a loss as to if it's the settings I'm using or something else.
  4. zzinnia

zzinnia New Member

mine does the same thing (dorid bionic). my guess is that the bionic is not embedding file header info in the jpg until it packages it to send. (mostly because with irfanview, the error message is 'unknown file header'.)

i am searching to see if there is a way to force the camera to embed that info when it stores the photos.
  5. zzinnia

zzinnia New Member

found the answer!!

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/0eb7e2d631

you have to go to settings/location&security/data encryption and uncheck both the device data and storage encryption. the phone will reboot.

this will solve the problem for NEW photos you take. unfortunately, you'll have to email the old ones to yourself, or upload them to flickr or picasa or someplace, to be able to view them. at least that's what i have found, for now....
  6. chrisewalsh

chrisewalsh New Member

PC Mode

I had the same problem when I encrypted my phone.

If you are encrypted, all the files are too so you can't use USB Mass Storage Mode to transfer files. That is the entire point of the encryption.

Instead, use "PC Mode" then your device should show up not as a drive but as a Device in your Explorer (with a Motorola driver doing the translation for you) I have a Bionic and it shows up as "DROID BIONIC"
    Click on that and I have "Removable Storage" which has all the file etc that you can copy and paste to/from.

You can also use the Motorola MTP Interface which should automatically start when you switch to PC Mode. That has a browse files, import pictures and videos and other functions.

Good luck!

Search tags for this page
.jpg pictures from s4 cannot view
android mass storage encryption copy pictures
can't open pictures from droid razr to computer
cannot open jpg file razr
cannot view android pictures on windows

downloaded pictures won't show droid razr hd

droid maxx does not open attached jpg
droid razr maxx photos not opening on computer

droid view picture on pc

how to import pics from my android to my laptop without corr