HELP! Think I messed up my droid!!

jrl9851

Reaction score
I had 6 updates available in the market so I started downloaded them one after another instead of waiting for one to finish. Well, the phone froze so I had to shut it down and turn it back off. Now when I turn the phone back on it is still really slow and I get an error telling me to force close "activity home." Now I can't do anything. I keep restarting the phone and same thing!

Redls1bird

Reaction score
see if you can get to your settings screen, and manage apps. remove the apps that you updated and restart. re-install them one by one. hopefully that works. If you cant do that, i would suggest googling for droid in safe mode. You could remove the apps that way if needed.

huskur

Reaction score
worst case scenario all you have to do is a hard reset to factory setting and start over

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
see if you can get to your settings screen, and manage apps. remove the apps that you updated and restart. re-install them one by one. hopefully that works. If you cant do that, i would suggest googling for droid in safe mode. You could remove the apps that way if needed.

That seems to have fixed it! Thanks!

Question: What does "cache" mean? When I went into the manage apps it had the option to clear cache on each app I opened and it started running faster when I cleared it. Is there anyway to keep cache cleared all the time?

rayswift

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. U have that antivirus app? If so uninstall it. I did and everythings fine. Don't format!

Guchi

Reaction score
when in doubt do a battery pull then if that dosnt work uninstall apps in question and re-install. like huskur said worst case you start from scratch

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. U have that antivirus app? If so uninstall it. I did and everythings fine. Don't format!

Haha that's funny because I think the antivirus app was giving me the problem!

Redls1bird

Reaction score
A cache is "stored information" . It could be any information that is stored for faster loading of apps/pictures, or it could be previously entered text. Clearing it would save space, but unless your in short supply, i would just leave it alone.

charrry

Reaction score
Can I ask why should we uninstall the antivirus App? Do you know for a fact that it slows the phone down? And is it safe not to have it? Thanks

SuGaR

Reaction score
Based on the reactions I have seen from 25+ members about the anti virus, it is defiantly the anti virus that is causing the problems. Personally I think you will be fine without the antivirus, but just like the internet on the computer, watch there you navigate to and what emails you open. Just use caution till they get a fix for the anti virus.

windstrings

Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it.... until you start seeing reports of virus's on the Droid.... why put something on that micromanages every movement......?...... I see that as tons of potential for error.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
My phone runs a LOT faster since I uninstalled that antivirus program.

rayswift

Reaction score
according to the verizon tech that posts on here, there is no need for an anti virus program for the droid.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not believe that there are even any known viruses on the Android platform.

bllarkin

Reaction score
Because of the Linux base (much like Mac OS X with it's Unix base), it is tougher to infect an OS like Android. Antivirus programs will always slow down the machine they are on because every time a file is accessed, the antivirus program scans it before the OS does whatever action it was going to do.