HELP! Think I messed up my droid!!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jrl9851, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jrl9851

jrl9851 New Member

I had 6 updates available in the market so I started downloaded them one after another instead of waiting for one to finish. Well, the phone froze so I had to shut it down and turn it back off. Now when I turn the phone back on it is still really slow and I get an error telling me to force close "activity home." Now I can't do anything. I keep restarting the phone and same thing!
  2. Redls1bird

Redls1bird New Member

see if you can get to your settings screen, and manage apps. remove the apps that you updated and restart. re-install them one by one. hopefully that works. If you cant do that, i would suggest googling for droid in safe mode. You could remove the apps that way if needed.
  3. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

worst case scenario all you have to do is a hard reset to factory setting and start over
  4. jrl9851

jrl9851 New Member

That seems to have fixed it! Thanks!

Question: What does "cache" mean? When I went into the manage apps it had the option to clear cache on each app I opened and it started running faster when I cleared it. Is there anyway to keep cache cleared all the time?
  5. rayswift

rayswift New Member

I had the exact same problem. U have that antivirus app? If so uninstall it. I did and everythings fine. Don't format!
  6. Guchi

Guchi New Member

when in doubt do a battery pull then if that dosnt work uninstall apps in question and re-install. like huskur said worst case you start from scratch
  7. jrl9851

jrl9851 New Member

Haha that's funny because I think the antivirus app was giving me the problem!
  8. Redls1bird

Redls1bird New Member

A cache is "stored information" . It could be any information that is stored for faster loading of apps/pictures, or it could be previously entered text. Clearing it would save space, but unless your in short supply, i would just leave it alone.
  9. charrry

charrry New Member

Can I ask why should we uninstall the antivirus App? Do you know for a fact that it slows the phone down? And is it safe not to have it? Thanks
  10. SuGaR

SuGaR New Member

Based on the reactions I have seen from 25+ members about the anti virus, it is defiantly the anti virus that is causing the problems. Personally I think you will be fine without the antivirus, but just like the internet on the computer, watch there you navigate to and what emails you open. Just use caution till they get a fix for the anti virus.
  11. windstrings

windstrings New Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it.... until you start seeing reports of virus's on the Droid.... why put something on that micromanages every movement......?...... I see that as tons of potential for error.
  12. jrl9851

jrl9851 New Member

My phone runs a LOT faster since I uninstalled that antivirus program.
  13. rayswift

rayswift New Member

according to the verizon tech that posts on here, there is no need for an anti virus program for the droid.
  14. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I do not believe that there are even any known viruses on the Android platform.
  15. bllarkin

bllarkin New Member

Because of the Linux base (much like Mac OS X with it's Unix base), it is tougher to infect an OS like Android. Antivirus programs will always slow down the machine they are on because every time a file is accessed, the antivirus program scans it before the OS does whatever action it was going to do.
  16. Atook

Atook New Member

which antivirus?

I was running into some weirdness that cleared up after I uninstalled Lookout Mobile Security
  17. jgmarto

jgmarto New Member

I also had a lot of problems with Anti-Virus. Once I uninstalled it, my droid ran fine. :motdroidvert:
  18. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

This is 100% correct. The Droid is basically a Linux computer. All Android phones are. Virus protection is really not needed because of the way administrative tasks are handled by the OS. If you haven't rooted your phone, there's almost zero chance of you getting a virus. Even a rooted Droid has far less chance of being infected than your Windows PC does.

About the only way I can see getting a virus of any sort is deliberately downloading malicious software from the Market -- and the Market, as open as it is, is still secured enough to keep malware away. And even if malware did slip through, it wouldn't be long before it was discovered by the users and reported.
  19. SandsUSA

SandsUSA New Member

I don't know a lot about linux, but is an AV product even effective without being installed as a root process? Same with virus's (or probably more likely, a worm)?
Search tags for this page

android hornyworm

does lookout mess up your phone
droid razor saft mode mean?

i think the app queep messed my phone up

lookout app meesed up my phone
lookout messed up android

what does safe mode mean on my android phone

what kind of apps can i uninstall without messing my android up