Help Tethering droid w/ usb using hotel wifi w/ bb0.4

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by otter34, Aug 8, 2010.

1. otter34

otter34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am connected to my hotel's wifi w/ my D1 at 54 MBs, but if I select the tethering option for bb 0.4 it says I need motorola driver A844 I think it was. Is that this: http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v...009a0210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD&pubid=987654

Right now I have pda net hooked up, but it's only connected at 2.4MBs so it doesn't seem to be picking up the wifi signal. Any help would be much appreciated since I'll be at this hotel for a couple days :-(

Obviously my laptop doesn't have wifi

2. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    So you are trying to connect your laptop thru USB easytether or something via the Droid connected to the Hotel's wifi...correct?

install the driver and see.

3. otter34

otter34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually bb 0.4 has a tethering option. If I check that my computer tells me it needs motorola A855 driver which I can't find. I am connected right now through pda net which is connected for some reason only at 2.4Mbs even though my phone is receiving the wifi connection from the hotel. If I check the speed of that on my phone it's 54Mbs

I just found this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/40062-android-wired-tether-windows-xp-laptop-2.html

I went to the xda site, signed up and downloaded the zip file, but there isn't an executable and I'm not sure what to do w/ any of the files that are in there.

4. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
  5. otter34

otter34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need a program to run it? When I double click it something pops up that says "system info" Then another box pops up that says system information cannot open this NFO file. It may be corrupt or an unrecognized version.

Also I clicked on the links that you provided, but they both take me to the motorola store

6. npike

npike New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotel wifi usually isnt the speediest. While your droid is CAPABLE of 54mbps over wifi, your average internet connection is no where near that fast :)

2.4MBs is probably the only speed the hotel's wireless is actually capable of. I wouldn't worry too much about it, sounds like your setup is working fine.

7. otter34

otter34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, just now for some reason it picked up my wifi connection from the phone. I don't have tethering enabled w/ bb 0.4. I'm using pdanet. I know it picked it up because there is an agreement I have to click on and accept to use the wifi when I have it on my phone and this just popped up on my laptop for the first time ever....out of the blue.

If I open settings, wireless, wi-fi settings then click on the connection it says:

signal strength: poor
    link speed :54Mbps

I thought that meant that the speed of the wifi is 54Mb/s. Was I wrong? you're saying that this just lists the max speed instead of the actual speed and it's just a coincidence that my connection speed is exactly as fast as my 3G connection would be?