HELP so close to brick its not funny

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by evilsock, Feb 14, 2010.

1. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    some bad advice almost got me bricked,

ok so i got some advice from someone at alldroid that may have screwed me.
    heres scene.
    im on 2.1 by koush, have his rec img (cant do nandroid from it)
    in his rom there is a "T-CDMA 64" instead of verizon logo in notification bar and charge screen. to change this i was told to
    adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    rename from .apk to .zip so i can access folders
    nav to /res/xml/eri.xml change .xml to .txt to edit find T-cdma 64 and change to what i want.
    rename back from .xml to .txt
    and rename .zip to .apk
    adb push back to where it was.
    so my phone rebooted and now EVERYTHING is FC , system i mean everything to the point i cant do anything but batery pull did a wipe from recovery and no help
    with koushs recovery there is no backup/restore option so i need to know how to flash sprecovery 0.99.2b so i can do a backup.
    help please!!!

added: the only options on this recovery are
    reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    install zip from sdcard
    toggle signature verification
    toggle script asserts

so how can i use adb even? theres no mount option
    im freaking out
    also tried original root update.zip
    and said
    "E:EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD"
    "E:signature verifacation failed"
    "instalation aborted"
    i just need to get a rec that will let me do a nandroid restore

also if anyone has a clean framework-res.apk please post it

CHANGED OP TITLE

#1 evilsock, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. ips

ips Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont use adb but if you find a regular stock 2.01 (I think sholes.info has one) and put it on the root of your sd card all you should have to do is apply update.zip from the sd card. Ive been pretyt close to bricking before too, it never got passed the M unless i went into recovery mode (I use nandroid though).

3. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok whew, i was able to adb very quickly while phone keps saying "process in android is not responding" so now all i need is a clean framework-res.apk
    im really mad the guy who posted that way of helping didnt warn me , and i think others are about to do same thing i did

4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is: it's all at your own risk. =\

Were you able to get a stock update.zip? Or are you going to use another file to fix it?

5. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got it from sholes. i think im good now , but i still need a clean framework .apk

6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That sucks man...but you can still do adb as long as you turn usb debugging on...you don't have to mount anything

7. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok i think im back on track, now i have to start all over bc the 2.1 rom i was on had a recovery i cant make backups on, so i guess ill try chevys rom again.
    still please post a clean stock framework-res.apk if someone has it one for 2.1 if there is a difference

8. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Its in the very folder you used to install that rom... I've gone through it. I posted that in the koush thread there. Aside from there being a 2.1 framework in greek's and the comm rom threads as well...

9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You certainly need to understand that messing with a 2.1 rom has much more risk than a 2.0.1 rom, as the parts, pieces and apps are different. Fewer other oms out there to snag parts, get help. I followed Koush's thread and where he said he was doing his own recovery thing, a yellow light went off in my head. Then I saw the framework part and the light went to red. For anyone reading this, the framework file has gotten more than a few folks in deep kimshee. The build.prop file has toasted more than one Milestone.

I think that Koush now understands that not everyone is a master hacker, and while sprecovery may be able to be made better, it is still the cornerstone for the masses. And back to the system files mentioned above, if you are not sorta savvy, and don't have adb nailed down, please avoid messing with those files. And for you folks who like to "show" the rest of us how easy it is to do something by displaying a screen shot of your work, the folks in majority see this stuff and do not understand what they do not understand.

Craig

Edit, Evil I forgot, you can pull the file from Koush's rom with windows explorer or 7zip. Same with pulling from Chevy's rom. But, I would not mix Chevy's with Koush's unless someone can confirm it will work. If you cannot figure out how to pull, I can do so and e-mail it to you. But, I an't gonna post it here. Someone will use it and get fouled up.

#9 Bear in NM, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am back to normal, i changed OP, but i agree, im not bashing the person that helped. but they made it sound so easy. just go in and change t. well i didnt know the framework is so sensitive, and vital . im learning still. as long as everyone who posts help does it in a manner that even the newer guests can take it in, would be better for all. i think im going to try chevys rom again

11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Evil,

Glad to hear. My post was not aimed at you, specifically at the new folks, as you mentioned. I am hoping that having the "b" word in your title will have some of the new folks reading it.

To further clarify the files, the resframework and build.prop file are system files the phone has to have to work. Not an app that can be corrupt, and not affect the phone working/booting. A corrupt system file will likley be reboot recovery at best. When folks take the steps to first rename these files and replace with an edited one, it is a two step deal. At the point you complete the first step of renaming, right there, at that moment, you have a non-bootable phone (full boot to system). If you either have problems pushing your modified file, or your modded file is corrupt, you have a non-bootable phone. If you are not a glutton for sprecovery, any messing with system files should make any user a little nervous. It does me:)

I am running Chevy's 2.1. Pretty slick admiring the live wall papers. But, I am one of the folks having some issues with FC that I have posted in his thread appear to be memory related (I know duh). So in my experience his Rom is cool, the lwp's are kinda neat, but you might have issues if you have tons of stuff loaded in memory. There are lots of live wallpapers in market (search by "live") and some seem to be less memory intensive. While I am not a lwp fanatic, I like the idea of getting my head a round 2.1, as I am hoping once it's released ots, the dev's will be able to more easily nail down some of the issues.

Craig