1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HELP! Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by Fault, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Fault

Fault New Member

VZW just sent me a text message saying I have until 7/16/11 for an early upgrade (regular upgrade is not until 2/25/12). I can get any phone for the same price as if I was to get a phone in febuary. The issue is Im afraid of losing my unlimited data. If i upgrade now, I lock it in for 2 more years. As of now, ill be grandfather claused in, but if they change their mind, I may not be able to get unlimited internet. I dont think any of the current phones will cut it, but here is what Im looking for:

-MUST BE ABLE TO HAVE ROMS AND KERNELS, absolute must
    -hopefully 4g
    -dual core would be great
    -a nice display
    -can run hulu plus/plants vs zombioes

this phone may not exist, and maybe i just need to wait it out. What do you think?
  2. Krank

Krank New Member

Well heres your first problem, the "Perfect phone" you describe does not exist, there is no "may not", at least not on verizon. Also, i dont think it will exist by the day your saying you need to upgrade by. So you will have to make a compromise to get one early or wait it out. My opinion is out of all the features you mentioned the charge has the best bet of meeting all your demands at some point if LTE is more important then dual core. I think the dev market still needs time to develop for LTE phones. If you can give up on LTE easier i would get the droid 3 if its available by then. (Rumor has it, it might be.) But no matter what id wait till the 16th to decide.
  3. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I would check out the droid charge development section on xda forums or here. The only things I don't like about the charge are kind of low available ram, price and a processor that uses a rfs file system, but the processor can be fixed with root and a voodoo conversion process.

Sent from my fascinate
  4. Fault

Fault New Member

Im kinda over the whole physical keyboard of the droid. I think I would really prefer the larger screen of something like a x2. Though the d3 supposedly may be unlocked, idk, stupid rumors
  5. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Be careful about the droid x2, it seems to be having memory management issues. Check out the reviews and forums on that. People are having to apply a script via root to fix its memory problems. I would definetly try it out in store first too.

Sent from my fascinate
  6. Fault

Fault New Member

Just watched a video on the Samsung galaxy s2, and if that's out soon, I'm buying it asap

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. Stelv

Stelv New Member

No one knows when the GS2 will come to Verizon. All we know is that Samsung is planning to release it on Verizon as the Samsung Function. It looks to be a couple months off, but who knows. No one knows how this variant will differ from European SGS2.
  8. crxlvr

crxlvr New Member

id wait for the full upgrade in february and hope the motorola bullet is released by then.
  9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Just curious why they are offering you an early upgrade? My contract is up in Dec so I'm able to upgrade in August. How come i didnt get this email?

Either way, there us nothing out at the moment worth upgrading too. Verizon has said that you will be grandfathered in, so I don't think they will change this before February.

I would call Verizon and ask why they want you to upgrade early, maybe they do have a plan to change grandfathering in the unlimited data before your upgrade.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
  10. Fault

Fault New Member

Already called and talked to them.

Im the primary on my account, and once they removed the new every two, they offered to many primaries the ability to upgrade in the 12 to 20 month the ability to upgrade early. They extended it for some of the users who couldnt get it during the first wave, and Im one of the lucky ones in the second wave. I only need to pay an extra $20 for processing. Honestly, I hope the Samsung Function comes out before then. If they do, Ill do it in a second
  11. Krank

Krank New Member

Well, look at it this way, if you wait till feb. you might start seeing quad core 4G lte in the pipeline. 2nd gen LTE radios, might be worth waiting for those before resigning for 2 years.
  12. Fault

Fault New Member

Lol quad core in a phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Although not sure how practical it will be with battery life, but a quad core phone will be out by Q2 next year. As far as I know isn't the next nexus phone quad core and wasn't amazon working on quad core phone?

14. crxlvr

crxlvr New Member

the bullet i mentioned is quad core lte, 12mp camera, and 2gb of system DDR ram
  15. Stelv

Stelv New Member

A quad core is just unnecessary. I don't even have a quad core in my design computer.

Sent from my fascinate
  16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Probably true, but so long as they will make it and it runs good without sacrificing battery I will get it with my upgrade.

Although, I do agree that quad core is over kill I can definitely see 1 gig of ram not being enough if you buy a phone now with a two year contract.

17. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I agree. The more ram the better. Verizon doesn't see it that way though. Most of their phones only have 512. I wonder what the deal is with that.

Sent from my fascinate
  18. Fault

Fault New Member

The thunderbolt is peaking my interest after talkingsome to liquid, but right now Im holding out for the samsung galaxy s2. Gonna head over to the vzw store, see if maybe they have some test models