Help (send ringtones via text?)

windstrings

Reaction score
One of the irritating things about using proprietary locked ringtones from your phone verses your downloaded private ones you have saved to a sound directly is that when you change your phone, you lose your ringtone.

I get used to a certain sounds for certain contacts and its a pain to be forced to change and not "bring over" the ringtones from the older phone that came stock with the phone.

I wish folks that are rooted would grab their ringtones from their motodroid "for instance" and make them available for download to users that have upgraded to the HTC incredible.

thats merely one example.

Until we can figure out how to access locked ringtones and send them we have this issue.

windstrings

Reaction score
The easiest way I found to send my ringtones from my droid to other phones is to use the free app astro file manager. It super easy you just long press on the ringtone or notification you want to send select gmail from the menu that pops up, enter the phone number you want to send to ie [email protected] and send it. When they receive they just save it as a ringtone. Works great for sending to my sons LG Voyager!

Humm..... I still have my old droid but since its not activated... maybe I can save them to my sd card and then move them to my HTC.. ... cool!

On my HTC Inc the location of the hidden ringtones you can access with astro is system\media\audio\"here are 4 directores...alarms, notifications, ringtones, and ui"

longpress on one and send to gmail it to your phone you want the sound on and once its in your download directory, you can take it and put it in your media folder so your phone will see it as a ringtone.

The easiest way to do this part is to install "ringdroid".. it will make a folder on your sd card called "media"... when you look in that subdirectories, you will see where ringtones go... once there, your phone will see them.

btw.. if your having trouble saving large files from your gmail to your sd card... the app "blackmoon attachsave" works great... by default, it sends things go your download directory... you can move from there to where you want with astro.

Last edited:

c_mack9

Reaction score
The easiest way I found to send my ringtones from my droid to other phones is to use the free app astro file manager. It super easy you just long press on the ringtone or notification you want to send select gmail from the menu that pops up, enter the phone number you want to send to ie [email protected] and send it. When they receive they just save it as a ringtone. Works great for sending to my sons LG Voyager!
the problem isnt with sending them. the problem is receiving/saving them to your droid. my fried can send one from his droid to mine and i can listen to it, i just cant do anything else with it. thats when its sent from emails and text aps both. the bluetooth file transfer thing worked but they have to be small.

windstrings

Reaction score
the problem is receiving/saving them to your droid. my fried can send one from his droid to mine and i can listen to it, i just cant do anything else with it. thats when its sent from emails and text aps both. the bluetooth file transfer thing worked but they have to be small.

Install "blackmoon attachsave" it will give you a choice when you hit the preview button to save with it.. when you pick it you will automatically receive the attachment into your downloads directory.

lgriner33

Reaction score
trouble playing downloads

i created a ringtone on makeownringtone.com in mp3 format. when downloaded my droid tells me that "sorry the player does not support this type of audio file" however if i view the attachment it will play. i am wondering if its in the settings i just recieved this replacement droid because of failed touchscreen. on my first droid i was able to do this

laschmela

Reaction score
the problem is receiving/saving them to your droid. my fried can send one from his droid to mine and i can listen to it, i just cant do anything else with it. thats when its sent from emails and text aps both. the bluetooth file transfer thing worked but they have to be small.

Install "blackmoon attachsave" it will give you a choice when you hit the preview button to save with it.. when you pick it you will automatically receive the attachment into your downloads directory.

Just did this, still doesn't work. The problem started with the 2.1 update. I used to be able to download music files and hit the "menu" button when it started to play, which gave an option to set as a ringtone. Now when I hit the "menu" button nothing happens. This is infuriating. HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN RINGTONES?!?

warrior21

Reaction score

Just did this, still doesn't work. The problem started with the 2.1 update. I used to be able to download music files and hit the "menu" button when it started to play, which gave an option to set as a ringtone. Now when I hit the "menu" button nothing happens. This is infuriating. HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN RINGTONES?!?
Download ringdroid from the market and you can easily make your own ringtones. Let's you choose what part of the song to save and makes it the correct length.