Help (send ringtones via text?)

windstrings

Reaction score
Never mind. I tried HandCent. It worked fine. I didnt get it at first because from reading the Market Places users reviews it seemed to slow many systems down. Anyone else have this happen to them? I've only sent one ringtone so I dont know how this app will effect my system as of yet.

It can now handle up to 1 meg mms files.. but bigger than that and I use email, or "attachemail" app.

bbrnkyle

Reaction score
This is what I have done and it seems to work. Create a Ringtones folder on your SD card by using your computer. From the Apps market, download Astro File Manager and Handcent SMS.. I download ringtones from Phonezoo on the computer. It sends them to your phone as a link. Go to link and download from phone. Open Astro and find the Download folder. In the folder is your ringtone. Copy it to your ringtones folder. Open up Handcent. Create new mail.. Hit the menue button on phone to attach audio files. Done!! Seems like a lot, but doesnt take long. You can also go back into Astro and delete Downloads to free up space

ToddClark

Reaction score
Now Ive read through this thread and checked into the apps talked about, I still cant figure out how to send a ringtone to someone from my droid. This shouldnt be sooo difficult.
it isnt hard. I went to the market, downloaded ChompSMS, i simply open it, pick the contact i want to send a ringtone to, press the settings button on the phone, press the attach button, a window pops up with options (pictures, capture picture, videos, or audio). I press audio, it pulls up all the ringtones on my phone, select the ringtone to send, it takes you back to your text messege, and then you hit SEND. Absolutely the EASIEST way ive seen to send them in a text. ChompSMS automatically converts them to whatever format is needed to send them. Works great. Ive sent vids, slideshows and ringtones to several of my contacts. Its ALMOST as simple as sending with a "normal" phone.

ocholoco

Reaction score
This is what I have done and it seems to work. Create a Ringtones folder on your SD card by using your computer. From the Apps market, download Astro File Manager and Handcent SMS.. I download ringtones from Phonezoo on the computer. It sends them to your phone as a link. Go to link and download from phone. Open Astro and find the Download folder. In the folder is your ringtone. Copy it to your ringtones folder. Open up Handcent. Create new mail.. Hit the menue button on phone to attach audio files. Done!! Seems like a lot, but doesnt take long. You can also go back into Astro and delete Downloads to free up space

or if you have zedge [ringtone app on market] or any other ringtone app probably already on the droid, you can use handcent to attach it in the same manner.

kwikcutz

Reaction score
When I go to attach the ringtone it only shows ringtones that came on phone. How do I get my downloaded ringtones to show up here. Thanks in advance

MzAtchie

Reaction score
Adding Myxer ringtones via text

I've had my Droid for 3 days and thought I'd add some ringtones from my own mp3's.
So I went to Myxer as I have done with my previous phone (EnV).
Upload my tunes, edit and send to my phone. Easy.
Well, turned out to be a frustrating afternoon. The text was delivered without a problem, but I couldn't find a way to save the tune.
Here is what worked for me:
Open the text with the tune and do a long tap on the side of the big "play" arrow. Options will pop up.
Save as ringtone.
Super easy.
You'll find your newly added ringtone at the bottom of the regular ringtone list.
:)

frandrescherfan

Reaction score
On my Voyager I used to be able to send the ringtone as an attachment from my email or use phonezoo..On the Droid phonezoo comes up as a link and i have to download directly from the website and gmail doesn't work...So, now I have no idea how to send a ringtone to someone else ....

I thought I could do this:
I clicked attachmail app and then found the ringtone..chose gmail....and then put in the phone number @vtext.com..though that won't work...

Someone help!

c_mack9

Reaction score
you can get handcent for free from the market, its a sms, mms ap. go into the settings and increase the attachment size to the max. it will send the smaller ones then but any large ones youre just out of luck. you can email them but if you want to recieve them you cant save the attachment from gmail.

windstrings

Reaction score
Handcent sends up to 1mb now and if you want to download the app called "attachemail" you browse to your ringtone or song with that app and it uses your gmail account to make it happen.

I've sent up to 18mb files with that.

c_mack9

Reaction score
Handcent sends up to 1mb now and if you want to download the app called "attachemail" you browse to your ringtone or song with that app and it uses your gmail account to make it happen.

I've sent up to 18mb files with that.
can you use that ap to save larger files that people email to you? thats been my problem.

windstrings

Reaction score
can you use that ap to save larger files that people email to you? thats been my problem.

Ah yes..... that is a problem.. I too have not found a solution for receiving decent sized files.

Going by memory.... seems if I logged onto my gmail " with my browser" instead of using the gmail app I was able to download much bigger files.

But I haven't tried that in a while, so don't quote me... but I do remember something to that effect.

c_mack9

Reaction score

Ah yes..... that is a problem.. I too have not found a solution for receiving decent sized files.

Going by memory.... seems if I logged onto my gmail " with my browser" instead of using the gmail app I was able to download much bigger files.

But I haven't tried that in a while, so don't quote me... but I do remember something to that effect.
hmm il try that next time. i can view or listen to the attachment or whatever, but it never will let me save it.

windstrings

Reaction score
Sometimes that has to do with whether you have an app onboard that can play such a file thats properly logged in your associations.

If you can view it, that half the battle.. usually you can save it too unless its really big, then you need to go the other route.

mtmom

Reaction score
Easiest way I have found

The easiest way I found to send my ringtones from my droid to other phones is to use the free app astro file manager. It super easy you just long press on the ringtone or notification you want to send select gmail from the menu that pops up, enter the phone number you want to send to ie [email protected] and send it. When they receive they just save it as a ringtone. Works great for sending to my sons LG Voyager!