Help! SD Card Issues

markwebb

Reaction score
I bought a new SD card, 32GB (the one offered by Verizon 2 weeks ago), for Droid 1. It has been working.

However as of today, my Droid won't mount or see it.

The card is able to be read by my computer or in any USB card reader and all information is intact. In fact, I am backing it up again on an external drive just to be safe.

Now, if Droid will not mount it, is this eligible for a Verizon warranty replacement(I am on contract which began 03/10 and I also have Asurion, but I would think this is not an insurance issue)?

Moreover, it is rooted and I would need to get back to Stock, should a return be necessary.

My original 16GB card which came with Droid also will not mount but can be read and copied via USB card reader, etc.

Any suggestions?

Now my phone won't boot up; gets stuck on M. However, I can boot into SPRecovery, but I can't do a restore since the card can't be mounted.

Can I do a simple Nandroid restore and not the custom one? It didn't work: Nanroid exited with satus 20!!!

Is my phone bricked?

Should I do a complete factory reset?

I am panicking as I might need to unroot and get back to stock should I need to return!:icon_eek:

EDIT/UPDATE:
It is working. After spending about 1.5 hours trying both cards, the 32GB is now working and recognized. It appears seating the card is very finicky in my Droid. This is bothersome to me as both cards would not moutn and it was only after constant, careful re-insertions that it took. I didn't think either was going to work. Looks like I should never touch it again. Glad it wasn't a software issue. Whew! Dodged a bullet on this one! So, should I unroot and take back to Verizon about the finicky SD card mounts on my Droid or just let it be? I am afraid should I ever remove again, it may not be recognized again.

Last edited:
OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Ok, It happened again even though I did not initially pull the card after my major incident above.

I flashed another ROM (after saving my prior ROM) and discovered there were issues with the ROM and I didn't like the ROM.

I rebooted to SPRecovery to my backup and again, the Droid could not mount it.

I pulled the battery and re-seated the card and it finally mounted but only after a few attempts at re-seating and booting. I am back to my recovered ROM.

This does not sit well with me if the Droid is not always mounting any SDcard. It is not inspiring confidence.

Is this covered under Verizon warranty as it seems to be equipment related? Should I return for a new Droid or just bite the bullet?

EDIT/UPDATE
: I called VZW and they listened to my predicament and said they would issue me a replacement phone!

I backed off a bit and said I wasn't sure if I needed one immediately but they did make notes in my account and even suggested I visit a VZW with a tech center (there is one near me) so they could troubleshoot and they could give me a replacement phone on the spot. The choice is mine.

If I decide to go that route, I will have to "unroot." :)

Excellent online customer service response from VZW with no arguments, objections, etc!

Last edited: