1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HELP! Screen wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xvolcomx, Mar 13, 2010.

1. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

So I was using Naterade rom and it started to act up with the screen not working in landscape mode. So I switched roms over to Adamz Smoke Glass it worked fine for about 5 minutes and now the screen wont turn on at all. Tried a battery pull, keyboard light turns on and led flashes but nothing on the screen. Cant get to recovery either. Anyone know a fix? Thanks
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

Could it be possible your battery is low? In these conditions it can take a loooong time to recharge. First thing I'd do is let it sit for 12 hours on charge. Feel free to try and reboot, while on charge, sooner if you want but leave it plugged in.
  3. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Not the battery. Now i dont know whats going on since the screen wont work its hard to tell if the phone is on or off or whats going on. Its charging it right now.
  4. christim

christim Super Moderator

You could try option 3, as a last resort, in my sig if you think your software got messed up. You shouldn't need your screen to do that. If a charge helps let us know.
  5. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I charged it completely..the little light next to the microusb port works...but im getting nothing from the screen or keyboard. Looks like its time for option 3 :( Any last suggestions?
  6. christim

christim Super Moderator

option 3 doesn't take long. It will get you back to stock and if you still can't see the screen its time to visit a store...but at least nothing will be rooted. If you can see the screen you can root again and be up and running in 30 minutes if you've done this before (which it sounds like you can)
  7. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

OK 2 problems so far...i have no idea how to tell if/when this thing is turning on so step 3 could be tricky. Also, how do i install the rsdlite program. My comp doesnt know what to do with the .7z file. Sorry i use a mac so maybe im just a windows noob on that second part.
  8. christim

christim Super Moderator

Is there a 7zip version for a mac?

will this work for you? Download Ez7z for Mac - Easy way to use p7zip archiver. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

edit: for step 3 - pull the battery, hold up on the dpad, power on. That way you know when it should be powering up. Can you run windows stuff on the mac?
  9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

To use the sbf method, wouldn't you need to get your phone into the "dpad up + power" (diagnostics maybe) menu? I can't think of what it is called right now, just saying you would need to get there before you could use the sbf method. You don't have to do anything on this menu, but you have to be there.
  10. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Ok got rsdlite up but how do i know when i can move on to the next step? I held up on the dpad while it powered on but it seemed to start up normally because i heard the sdcard notify sound.
  11. christim

christim Super Moderator

Instructions:
    1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
    2. Install RSDLite 4.6 AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
    3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
    4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
    5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
    6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
    7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
    8. Done

ok, I've got the steps but haven't done it myself. I "thought" the rsd program ran on the PC. I "thought" when you did step 3 it made your phone connect to the computer so you could proceed to step 4. I "thought" all steps beyond step 3 occurred on the computer, not the phone. (headed to check youtube and elsewhere...back in a couple)

Anyone who has used this process...feel free to chime in
  12. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Tried it that way with the phone seeming to be on...nothing happens when i press start on rsdlite.

BTW I dont know what it means to run rsdlite "as administrator". did i miss a step?
  13. christim

christim Super Moderator

Windows needs to run the app as an administrator. One who can install programs on Windows.

I installed rsd lite and the drivers on my Vista machine.

I powered down my phone, held dpad-up and powered on the phone, continuing to hold dpad-up. While my screen was blank initially it did sort of glow. Does yours do that at all? I next end up at the bootloader screen. This screen tells me"

Bootloader
    2C.6C

Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Transfer Mode:
    USB

Looks like the rest is done from the program on the computer.
  14. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

The screen doesnt light up at all. When I hold up on the dpad and power on i can hear that it just powers on normally. Screen does nothing.
  15. christim

christim Super Moderator

To clarify, for Step 4 there was really only one thing I could run. It was called SDL.exe with a Motorola M logo. This did let me grab the SBF file and there is a Start button. Sorry...not flashing my phone back to stock but it looks like the rest of the steps will work just fine. If the issue is running it on your mac, can you run next door to Windows computer?And still...not knowing the battery state you could wait a few hours longer too.
  16. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

The battery is at least 80%. Im running windows on boot camp on my mac so that shouldnt be a problem. I get all the way to the "start" and when i press it nothing happens. I think its because the phone is powering on normally instead of going into a certain mode cause by holding dpad up when powering on.
  17. christim

christim Super Moderator

Does it say "droid" or do some start up sound, or you just hear the phone running? Also the directions say to wait a while while flashing. I'd say 15 minutes should be plenty of waiting but no idea how long you waited. Other than waiting for a longer charge or trying a friend's window's based computer I'm out of options for you, sorry. Maybe the screen just died but that sounds rare as I haven't seen a post about that happening here or elsewhere on the web yet.
  18. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Yea i guess i'll just try it again and wait longer. When i power it on i can feel it vibrate slightly and then the sd card notify sound goes off and the led lights up. But when i press start rsdlite does nothing.
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

power on button while holding the X button also does nothing?

If it is powering on normally and your screen is dead....do you normally have volume/vibration on and if so can you call your phone to see if it rings?
  20. xvolcomx

xvolcomx New Member

Edit: Phone turns on but volume keys dont seem to do anything. The phone is on...i just cant get to the d-pad up screen (whatever its supposed to be.)
Search tags for this page
droid 2 screen wont turn on
droid 3 screen wont turn on
droid 4 wont keyboard lights up screen wont turn on
droid dna screen wont turn on
droid screen wont turn on
motorola blur screen wont turn on
motorola blur wont turn on
motorola cliq 2 wont turn on
motorola cliq doesn't turn on
motorola cliq screen doesnt come on

motorola cliq screen wont turn on