HELP!!! Screen not coming on after a minor drop!!!

poooookah78

Reaction score
Ok, I was on the phone and hung up, I put the phone on the edge of my desk (2 feet off ground) and it fell and hit the floor, NOTHING HARD AT ALL... well, i couldn't get anything to happen but now after some trouble shooting I realize that the phone is turning off and back on after a battery pull but the screen isn't coming on. I see the keyboard light up when I slide the phone open but still nothing displays.

Anyone had any experience with this? I have the insurance but I've rooted my phone... should this be an issue? Can I just show a verizon dealer the phone and get a new one? I'm leaving town for vacation tomorrow afternoon and I need my droid and contacts right now :(

Are there any other troubleshooting ideas?

THANKS GUY!!!!!

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I was on the phone and hung up, I put the phone on the edge of my desk (2 feet off ground) and it fell and hit the floor, NOTHING HARD AT ALL... well, i couldn't get anything to happen but now after some trouble shooting I realize that the phone is turning off and back on after a battery pull but the screen isn't coming on. I see the keyboard light up when I slide the phone open but still nothing displays.

Anyone had any experience with this? I have the insurance but I've rooted my phone... should this be an issue? Can I just show a verizon dealer the phone and get a new one? I'm leaving town for vacation tomorrow afternoon and I need my droid and contacts right now :(

THANKS GUY!!!!!

ive had similar issues to this, it wasnt from a drop but where the phone kept rebooting over and over with the screen staying off, if you rooted, try booting into recovery and flash a new rom, if not try booting into recovery and wiping data(you will loose all data!!!)

if the problem persists get it replaced like i did :-/

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score

THANKS GUY!!!!!

ive had similar issues to this, it wasnt from a drop but where the phone kept rebooting over and over with the screen staying off, if you rooted, try booting into recovery and flash a new rom, if not try booting into recovery and wiping data(you will loose all data!!!)

if the problem persists get it replaced like i did :-/

I did try this, I'm going to the verizon dealer today at lunch. My only concern is that I'm rooted, will they be able to tell? probably not I'm assuming. And how long did it take to get a replacement? I have the asurion insurance thing... I pay the whole thing, I got the extended warranty.

myriad46

Reaction score
Phone insurance should pre-ship you the phone and then you send yours back. They usually overnight them. I've had great success with Asurian with past phones.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
Phone insurance should pre-ship you the phone and then you send yours back. They usually overnight them. I've had great success with Asurian with past phones.

I just called and they said they had droids in stock. She told me it would be available for delivery on Monday (over the weekend). Should I push for saturday or just leave it alone?

Would my rooting the phone have any effect on asurion/my claim/etc?

Also, does paying the 89 dollars and filing the claim w/ asurion get me out of my contract? I keep hearing that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did try this, I'm going to the verizon dealer today at lunch. My only concern is that I'm rooted, will they be able to tell? probably not I'm assuming. And how long did it take to get a replacement? I have the asurion insurance thing... I pay the whole thing, I got the extended warranty.

Asurion handles claims, not Verizon. So don't bother going to Verizon. And in case you haven't been reading the forum they are not replacing Droids with Droids anymore. They may try to pass off an inferior product to you. Insist upon either an X or and Incredible.

Sorry to hear this happened, I've dropped my Droid countless times and nothing has ever happened to it. I think it either has to just fall the wrong way or you had some type of defect to begin with.

myriad46

Reaction score
The insurance will not affect your contract. I know willingly changing your phone (byuing one on ebay) will affect your New Every Two, but I am pretty sure that an insurance replacement will not.

Rooting won't effect your warranty, if they can't turn it on. :) Have you tried the recovery mode thing? Holding down X while you restart it, and the whole volumn up ...blah blah blah?

The droid they'll send you is going to be reconditioned, so if you can fight for an incredible, I'd say go for it. However, the insurance contract allows them to send you a refurbished phone, so you don't really have any leverage.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
Just a quick update guys. Thanks for the replies so quickly. I decided to try my luck w/ verizon and it worked.

I went to the store, simply told them that the display wasn't coming on anymore and told them that it happened all of a sudden. They said that it was weird but definitely still under warranty and since I would be out of town this weekend they are overnighting me a new droid free of charge!!

WOW!!!!

FYI, Asurion DOES have Droids, I started a claim but didn't commit to anything and the lady said they would be sending me an actual droid. Not an X, not an eris, not an incredible, but a droid.

Who Knew?!

Zecpull

Reaction score
I had Exactly this same thing happen and On a Friday..and Was without my Droid over the weekend..it was horrible..LOL..But I went to the Verizon Store and they Overnight shipped one.. I was Really mad because they had Droids in the Store but had to ship me a Replacement. and couldnt replace with a new one. Warranty should Replace with new.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
I had Exactly this same thing happen and On a Friday..and Was without my Droid over the weekend..it was horrible..LOL..But I went to the Verizon Store and they Overnight shipped one.. I was Really mad because they had Droids in the Store but had to ship me a Replacement. and couldnt replace with a new one. Warranty should Replace with new.

hmmm... should I expect a used one then?

shiccy

Reaction score
You'll definitely get a used one unless you're lucky and they ran out of the refurbed ones .... Sucks b/c it's like getting someone else's already abused toys or hand me down clothes ... they're never quite right.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
You'll definitely get a used one unless you're lucky and they ran out of the refurbed ones .... Sucks b/c it's like getting someone else's already abused toys or hand me down clothes ... they're never quite right.

So, I'll get a refurb more than likely?

I'm getting it over nighted from a central warehouse. You're pretty sure about this being a refurb?

Thanks!

lanemi01

Reaction score
Dropped Droid. It would power up. No screen though.

I dropped my droid from 4 feet. It hit flat on the screen side. It had all the functions except the screen would not illuminate.I read many discussions on here and was starting to feel depressed. Figuring nothing to lose, I dropped my phone from the same height and it is now working fine.