HELP! Screen broken but want to transfer internal storage!

anjely

Reaction score
Hi, I have a droid razr Maxx HD. The screen is completely unresponsive to touch, so I can't unlock it, but I have about 100 pictures and video from this past weekend that I desperately want to transfer to my computer. Does anyone know any way to transfer files while the phone is still locked?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you simply connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable, the phone should show up as two "drives" on the computer. One will be the internal storage, the other will be the removable SD card. In each of them you may find a folder called "DCIM", and within that folder you should find one labeled "Camera", where you should find your pictures and videos. Simply drag them to the PC into the folder you wish to place them on your PC. Make sure to check both internal and external storage locations for the files you are looking for.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you simply connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable, the phone should show up as two "drives" on the computer. One will be the internal storage, the other will be the removable SD card. In each of them you may find a folder called "DCIM", and within that folder you should find one labeled "Camera", where you should find your pictures and videos. Simply drag them to the PC into the folder you wish to place them on your PC. Make sure to check both internal and external storage locations for the files you are looking for.

This won't work. OP said device is locked.
The best way is plug a HDMI and connect it to a TV.
I was able to do this for my daughter's S3 when it had a dead screen. I was able to unlock the device then turn off the screen lock so that a computer connection would work.

OP
A

anjely

Reaction score
This won't work. OP said device is locked.
The best way is plug a HDMI and connect it to a TV.
I was able to do this for my daughter's S3 when it had a dead screen. I was able to unlock the device then turn off the screen lock so that a computer connection would work.

I didn't try that because I don't actually have the HDMI connection for my phone... but how do you unlock the phone through HDMI? I saw comments about other people trying that on other forums, but they all said that they couldn't do anything from that point because the screen was still locked.

Anyway, it's a moot point now. I couldn't figure out how to get all the pictures off and went to two Verizon locations which told me it was impossible without taking apart the phone, so I just paid a ton to get a new screen. Thanks for the effort though!