1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help rooting ?????

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dlwhtrose, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Okay, so I have a confusing request. I have read all the threads on rooting and the option of me doing it myself terrifies me. I want to root because of all the nice features and it seems the phone are running way better rooted on 2.1 than with the 2.1 OTA update from Verizon. My Droid absolutely sucks since the 2.1 update, to the point I am ready to go back to my old phone, I am so frustrated.

So, here is my question / request........... Is there anyone on this forum in Tucson, Arizona that would be willing to help me root my phone. I am on the 2.1 OTA update so it would have to go back to the 2.0.1 first then root and get a nice ROM with the 2.1?

I know that I am probably asking a lot but I just know my luck and when it comes to technical stuff I will screw it up somehow.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Lol man you gotta try!! That's the only way you will learn I promise you that. There are so many great guides that if you just follow by the letter, you will get it done. And trust me, it is actually VERY hard to completely screw your phone up...
  3. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

SBF... SBF...droidmod just released this, so no need to downgrade to 2.0.1 to root: 2.1 SP Recovery SBF - DroidMod
  4. dlwhtrose

does anyone know if Droidmod's new release has been tried??? I realize they have tested everything before release but I am just asking because everyone here has said that 2.1 could not be rooted that you had to go back to 2.0.1 before you could root. I figured it would be a matter of time before someone figured out a way to root 2.1 just didn't expect it this fast.
  5. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Yes, I did it to mine yesterday successfully. This post has all the instructions and links you need:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ng-sprecovery-sbf-stock-2-1-a.html#post402591

Everyone says that because this method is brand new and not everyone is aware of it yet.
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

After flashing the SBF file, you are welcome to PM me with any other questions.
  7. gavron

gavron Guest

I'm in Tucson but I don't run Windows, so can't help you. If you have a Windows laptop and download all the files... you'd find you don't need my help or anyone's.

The reason there are "so many steps" is they really went out of their way to list *everything*. Pretend it's a checklist, and just go step by step, checking it off. You'll be fine.

If you still can't get it by the weekend... PM me. If I'm not out flying the helicopter I'll come help ya.

E
  8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

Does rooting and installing 2.1 that way really help the phone run smoother vs. the OTA? I'm like the guy that started this post... I want to try it, but a little worried... but if it boosts performance, that'll be worth the "risk", for me anyway.

And once it's rooted, then you can add in all the mods and stuff, right? I really want to give the Cyanogen mod a try...
  9. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Since I just got the phone last week and only have used 2.1 from the beginning, I can't answer the performance question... but it definitely gives you the superuser root access, so you mod away to your heart's content... one of the best things you can get done right away is get rid of all those godawful built-in ringtones and alerts, as well as disable stock apps you don't want or need. Rooted + Root Explorer makes that simple.
  10. dlwhtrose

Okay, first of all, hahaha y'all I'm not a dude. I'm a gal!! hehehe.

I have had my phone since release and frankly at this point anything has to be better as far a performance is concerned than what I have now. The 2.1 OTA update totally jacked me. So I am totally hoping it improves the performance. But I have also been considering rooting for a couple of months now but never got the guts to take the leap.

Thanks to all of you that have offered help. I am going to root the phone tonight with the help of RoLaDrOiD, so y'all say some prayers for me cuz if I brick my phone, my husband will kill me! Now if I am successful I am sure that I will be doing his phone for him. hahahaha
  11. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Not sure about all the custom ROMS but disabling stuff you don't need can certainly help. I have completely disabled "amazon mp3 store", "corporate calendar", "alarm clock" (because I have the much better Nexus One version), and Visual Voice mail. So there's some resources freed up. Everyone should also have Advanced Task Killer as well, since all too many apps that we don't need running all the time don't have close/exit buttons
  12. RoLa

RoLa New Member

I'll be starting a thread called.....OMG!!! I BRICKED SOMEONES DROID
  13. dlwhtrose

Actually the Advanced Task Killer was part of my performance / force close issue. I removed it and actually improved my performance. That was before the 2.1 update. I had my phone running sweet before the 2.1 update even though I was not rooted and I was loving it. Since the 2.1 update, things just went down hill fast and just aren't running smoothly. I am having a lot of lags, force closes and such. Half the time I can't even get my phone to unlock so that I can answer a call. Was told that rooting would help, so here I go!! I am going to finally jump off the cliff and root this thing. I am scared to death but very excited.
  14. dlwhtrose

Dude DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!!! I am already a pile of nerves about what we are going to do to my little baby. Yikes!! I can see the headlines now, "woman bricks phone and is divorced the next day". JK. My husband and I have been married 19 years I really don't think he would divorce me over the phone, he would just force me to go back to my blackberry. OMG that's a scary thought.
  15. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Yeah it sounds like from all your troubles that flashing a new ROM would do you good anyway. Be aware if you do that you'll have to reinstall some stuff, but think of it as being just like having a fresh reinstall of Windows that had been all jacked up. It will be nice.

Also, this will help you worry less: Once SPRecovery is in, a backup can be made before the phone is flashed again. No matter what happens after that, you have a disaster recovery option.
  16. zack2302@gmail.com

zack2302@gmail.com New Member

I just joined the forum and im trying to flash SPrecovery to my Droid using RSD Lite and I can see my phone and every thing, but for some reason it doesn't reconize the Droid is CDMA. Im getting "Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file. (0x7029); phone connected" could you help me out I've been searching and tryin to figure this out for days no luck!
  17. dlwhtrose

Okay so the phone is not Bricked but it is not rooted either. FYI...... if you are trying to root a Droid with a computer with VISTA, don't. Ran into issues with the file that I needed to run as Administrator. Luckily, I have another computer with XP on it and am going to try this again tonight on that computer. I have full confidence that I will be rooted by morning!!! I can't wait.
  18. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

im a moron and i did it for the first time about 2 weeks ago. its so simple. i suggest youtube for a guide on how to. there really is minimum risk, it just sounds scary to us newbs. youll be so happy when you actually do it (and dare i say even proud of yourself, as i was) good luck!