Help rooting phone

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tmk, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tmk

tmk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To start off I want to apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with this question. I've been searching all over the internet and my brain's been fried with the different answers! Anyway, I have a Verizon Motorola Droid 2.1-update 1 phone. Can I root my phone without losing any data and still keep 2.1? If so, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What data r you worried about?

3. tmk

tmk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apps, contacts, pics, music, etc..., or will rooting my phone not affect these things?

4. BigZig

BigZig Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Your contacts are backed up by google all you need to do is sign into your google account and it will sync with your phone. As for your music etc. Ne thing on your sd card will be fine just wipe phone memory you will have to re download your apps but google will remember your paid ones and you just re download them. After you root install busybox or metamorph and it will restore your apps when flashing new roms

5. missrachel

missrachel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Simply rooting your phone (with Easy Root - I can not speak for other methods) will not cause you to lose any data.

Installing custom ROMs is what may cause you to lose apps and their data, since whenever you install a ROM it is recommended to wipe all data and cache. However there are programs to back up your data (Titanium Backup) so you won't have to reinstall all your apps and lose app data...

6. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the post above. Easy Root (click here) is worth a buck. Only takes a minute to root and that includes the reboot. You won't lose any of your apps.

Now it also has a one button un-root if you need to go back to stock for any reason. I purchased it for that purposes alone.

Mike

EDIT: Tried the un-root feature this evening. It does remove root, however, Easy Root does not remove SPRecovery or CM Recovery so you really don't go back to a stock configuration after all. Hopefully this feature will be added soon or Droidmod will release DMUpdater in the near future.

Search tags for this page
can rooting cause lose of data
does rooting delete all data
does rooting earase your memory

does rooting phone erase phone memory

does rooting resulting loosing data
will rooting cause me to lose service
will rooting clear the memory
will rooting deleate phone memory