Help rooting DX (2.2 Update) and ROM's

skyfire322

Reaction score
Before I get into detail, I want to let you know that I am a noob. So if I'm in the wrong section, my apologies.

First, I have been thinking about rooting my DX (it has the Froyo 2.2 update). I'm quite hesitant about because I've heard many horror stories about the phone bricking. I did notice that there is an app for one touch rooting.
droid-x-root.jpg

Has anyone used this and been successful? Note: I would like to overclock my phone and tether it.

My other question is what are ROM's? The only ROM's I know of are for video game emulators heh heh.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have rooted Droid so I'm unable to comment so I'll try to get your post to the X hacking section where other X users will view and comment.

Mike

Last edited:

luv2increase

Reaction score
Before I get into detail, I want to let you know that I am a noob. So if I'm in the wrong section, my apologies.

First, I have been thinking about rooting my DX (it has the Froyo 2.2 update). I'm quite hesitant about because I've heard many horror stories about the phone bricking. I did notice that there is an app for one touch rooting.
droid-x-root.jpg

Has anyone used this and been successful? Note: I would like to overclock my phone and tether it.

My other question is what are ROM's? The only ROM's I know of are for video game emulators heh heh.

Hmmm... Horror stories of the X bricking from rooting? I think you've been reading some tall tales I'm afraid.

We now have a full 2.2 OTA SBF. I don't believe there is a way for the DX to even be bricked at all whatsoever.

You would have to of damaged the hardware or something "physically" for it to be bricked anymore :icon_eek:

EDIT: The only people who truly bricked their phones were the ones who after going to the OTA 2.2 tried to flash back to 2.1 with the 2.1 SBF. At the time people did that, we didn't have the official OTA 2.2 SBF available to us. If anyone were to do that today, they would just have to flash that and be all good :)

I repeat; at this point it is impossible to brick your Droid X.

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

droid-x-root.jpg

Hmmm... Horror stories of the X bricking from rooting? I think you've been reading some tall tales I'm afraid.

We now have a full 2.2 OTA SBF. I don't believe there is a way for the DX to even be bricked at all whatsoever.

You would have to of damaged the hardware or something "physically" for it to be bricked anymore :icon_eek:

EDIT: The only people who truly bricked their phones were the ones who after going to the OTA 2.2 tried to flash back to 2.1 with the 2.1 SBF. At the time people did that, we didn't have the official OTA 2.2 SBF available to us. If anyone were to do that today, they would just have to flash that and be all good :)

I repeat; at this point it is impossible to brick your Droid X.

Yeah the whole eFuse FUD is probably not true. eFuses are used to switch off parts of the board if something horrible happens to it hardware-wise. They do use a signed bootloader but rooting it shouldn't have an effect. Proof of this is the fact that this got sent on a rooted Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Check out this link.

[video=youtube;_e_Sz4IHjvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_Sz4IHjvI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

works perfectly.

CellZealot

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the efuse is not real or that you can't brick a DroidX is very wrong.

We have proven it unfortunately.

If you attempt to overwrite the mbmloader it will trip the efuse and truly brick the device. This is NOT the overused and false meaning of the word "brick"! The device does absolutely nothing at all with no means of access or recovery short of JTAG.

There is so much mythology and misinformation flying around about this that it's cause for concern. It is true that most normal means of flashing the phone will not result in bricking it, but may require flashing an SBF, it is absolutely possible to do so.
People who continue to believe otherwise and pass on that info are not helping anyone.