Help rooting Droid Razr 4.1.2?

yaterml

Reaction score
It's an issue the occurs when jb updating

I used the entitlement check hack and when installing JB over my first phone it wouldn't actually turn the Tether on it would just sit their saying activating. on my second Razr I made sure to change the check value back to 0 and it updated with no issue and could activate the hot spot hack. Foxfi doesn't work on Razr's running JB but I have been told Wifi Tether the app workes. Foxfi works via Bluetooth though from what I am told but the entitlement check works fine...

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
I used the entitlement check hack and when installing JB over my first phone it wouldn't actually turn the Tether on it would just sit their saying activating. on my second Razr I made sure to change the check value back to 0 and it updated with no issue and could activate the hot spot hack. Foxfi doesn't work on Razr's running JB but I have been told Wifi Tether the app workes. Foxfi works via Bluetooth though from what I am told but the entitlement check works fine...

Make sure you still have root when you upgraded to JB. If you protected root when upgrading and are having trouble reestablishing root, update the superuser binaries by clicking the app and scrolling over to the left. If you lost root when upgrading cause you didn't protect use Matt's utility to reroot JB using the link I posted on the RAZR Maxx threads. Once you do that you will have redo the hack. Make sure after you change it to "0" to save and reboot your phone then try the hotspot.

I can guarantee 100% it works for those people saying it doesn't because I did it and I have it working. So if its not working for you.....most likely something you have done wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yaterml

Reaction score
Make sure you still have root when you upgraded to JB. If you protected root when upgrading and are having trouble reestablishing root, update the superuser binaries by clicking the app and scrolling over to the left. If you lost root when upgrading cause you didn't protect use Matt's utility to reroot JB using the link I posted on the RAZR Maxx threads. Once you do that you will have redo the hack. Make sure after you change it to "0" to save and reboot your phone then try the hotspot.

I can guarantee 100% it works for those people saying it doesn't because I did it and I have it working. So if its not working for you.....most likely something you have done wrong.

That's what I am saying I think that some of these Tether issues are because the system screws up writing the values it you have previously changed them. Its been hit or miss some have tether issues, some have Bluetooth, some have Lapdock issues. Its few and far between and varied hence why Verizon just started throwing phones at it. I maintained root both times and have done the hack several times in the past. Did everything correctly but after some of the JB updates the tether just hangs up. I was talking with Verizon and even people that were paying for the Hot Spot without Roots were having intermittent issues with their Hot Spots hanging on activation, same with Bluetooth and Lapdock. OEM OTA updates causing issues on Stock phones.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's what I am saying I think that some of these Tether issues are because the system screws up writing the values it you have previously changed them. Its been hit or miss some have tether issues, some have Bluetooth, some have Lapdock issues. Its few and far between and varied hence why Verizon just started throwing phones at it. I maintained root both times and have done the hack several times in the past. Did everything correctly but after some of the JB updates the tether just hangs up. I was talking with Verizon and even people that were paying for the Hot Spot without Roots were having intermittent issues with their Hot Spots hanging on activation, same with Bluetooth and Lapdock. OEM OTA updates causing issues on Stock phones.

I guess. I was rooted ICS with mobile hotspot hacked and it took my three times to get JB upgrade. I never protected root so I had I guess a half rooted phone? Superuser app was there but when I would try to update the binaries it would fail. When JB was rooted I had to FDR to get the root to go through right after I got root permissions I did the hack again no problem.

Only thing I can think of is people aren't changing the correct one. I can honestly say I've had no issues with my JB upgrade since day one of getting it back around Christmas time and the week or how ever long root has been out.

yaterml

Reaction score
I guess. I was rooted ICS with mobile hotspot hacked and it took my three times to get JB upgrade. I never protected root so I had I guess a half rooted phone? Superuser app was there but when I would try to update the binaries it would fail. When JB was rooted I had to FDR to get the root to go through right after I got root permissions I did the hack again no problem.

Only thing I can think of is people aren't changing the correct one. I can honestly say I've had no issues with my JB upgrade since day one of getting it back around Christmas time and the week or how ever long root has been out.

Idk stuff happens... I just know what I've been through and what others have posted and talked to Verizon

R

rothfus7

I have gained root access on my Razr MAXX (running 4.1.2), and I have a question now.
What all can I/should I do now that I have root access?
I installed ROM Manager, but when I tried to get a ROM, it said that the Razr isn't supported.
I'm fairly new to rooting, so please excuse the ignorance.

yaterml

Reaction score
I have gained root access on my Razr MAXX (running 4.1.2), and I have a question now.
What all can I/should I do now that I have root access?
I installed ROM Manager, but when I tried to get a ROM, it said that the Razr isn't supported.
I'm fairly new to rooting, so please excuse the ignorance.

Not all Roms are supported on Razr because of its file system and locked bootloader. You can Wifi hotspot hack, install Roms. Install the Razr M Launcher and Circles Widget. Other than that not much use... For a normal user.

R

rothfus7

Not all Roms are supported on Razr because of its file system and locked bootloader. You can Wifi hotspot hack, install Roms. Install the Razr M Launcher and Circles Widget. Other than that not much use... For a normal user.

Oh, ok. Well the Wifi hotspot hack, Razr M Launcher, and Circles Widget are all things that I'd be interested in. Do I find the Launcher and Widget just in the Play Store?
Also, by rooting, am I able to get rid of some of the bloatware (such as SmartActions) on the phone?

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Eclipse v1.5 works for razr

Sent from my DROID r4z3r running JB

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Yea grab motomizer and you can get rid of bloat there a other apps two Google search. Motomizer optimizes your phone I recommend it

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I agree. My major reason for rooting is to hack hotspot. Every once in a while maybe flash a ROM but I think those days are over because none of them seem to work out for me. The best ROM to use for best battery life IMO is the stock ROM hands down. Plus I don't really understand the governors for the CPU if they have that option and I just never see a difference except in draining my battery quicker

yaterml

Reaction score
Oh, ok. Well the Wifi hotspot hack, Razr M Launcher, and Circles Widget are all things that I'd be interested in. Do I find the Launcher and Widget just in the Play Store?
Also, by rooting, am I able to get rid of some of the bloatware (such as SmartActions) on the phone?

Okay... Smart Actions is not bloatware it is a key asset to controlling battery drain and functionality of the phone.
There are walkthroughs for the Hotspot hack, and circles widget. I say look for them on the forums here. You can remove bloatware. I suggest Titanium Backup from the market its a key almost have to tool for rooted users. Also Voodo OTA root keeper. Sql editor lite also from the play market.

yaterml

Reaction score
Yea grab motomizer and you can get rid of bloat there a other apps two Google search. Motomizer optimizes your phone I recommend it

Question does it make backup before removing the bloatware because if a apps is needed to be changed for an update you can end up screwed?