1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

help Rooting a 2.2 Droid 1 using Mac

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ugotskilled, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ugotskilled

ugotskilled New Member

i need to root a 2.2 Droid 1 for my friend, but we both have macs. is there any way we can root using a mac?

i've looked everywhere, but all the instructions require the use of a windows PC.
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

you're kind of out of luck unless you can set up a boot camp partition with a copy of windows. Or you have the necessary software to run a Virtual Machine with windows.
  3. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

He could use a Ubuntu live cd
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG22D - Android Forums <-- apparently that works. I haven't tried that, well because I haven't unrooted since FRG22D. But there are plenty of people that got ADB working fine for Mac/Linux.

Once that is done I recommend installing ROM manager and flashing a custom recovery (it can flash either clockwork or SPRecovery). You could also install something like titanium backup at this point to backup things that wouldn't restore automagically after a wipe, especially if you planned on flashing a ROM.

I also recommend that you let your friend do it. It is a good learning experience for him/her to do it themselves. Knowing how to reboot into recovery, how to create a backup, knowing how to restore a backup if something goes wrong, how to wipe, how to install a new ROM/theme/kernel if they wanted to.... etc If you just take the phone and hand it to him 45 minutes later, ROM'd, themed, overclocked and walk away...if something goes wrong somehow (and it can happen) he/she will be stuck. He/she may not be able to call/text you about the problem with a busted phone.
  5. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

that's a great advice
  6. ugotskilled

ugotskilled New Member

if i downloaded ubuntu, does that enable me to utilize all the .exe files?
  7. watsonism

watsonism New Member

Search tags for this page

2.2.2 root using mac os

droid a855 root with adb on macosx

mac platform 2.2.2 android root

root my droid a855 with mac