Help rooting a 2.1 Droid. And whats the best custom rom?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nukewire, May 12, 2010.

1. Nukewire

Nukewire New Member

Hello,

Sorry for being such a n00b, I've been looking through the forum and other website and I see how to root a 2.0.1 but not 2.1(maybe i'm blind).

I have a 2.1 Moto Droid and want to try and root and get a custom rom that will allow for more performance and sexiness.

I would like to not have to wipe all my apps, but I guess if worst comes to worst I will.

I have a few questions.
    1. How do I root this. xD​
    2. If I do wipe my droid, all my paid apps will still be available to download correct?​
    3. If 2.2 would ever come out, how hard would it be to upgrade??​
    4. Whats the best rom for performance/sexiness??​

Thanks,
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

1. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
    2. yes, once you log back in with your gmail account
    3. not very, there will be roms made of it to upgrade (will probably have to wipe data though)
    4. there are so many choices. cyanogen is pretty good, but so is bugless, and ultimate, and simply stunning. so its a tough choice. i'd go with cyanogen probably, but idk
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

1 - See link 3 of my signature. There are at least 2 other threads out there that cover basically the same steps.

2 - all paid apps are tied to your google account. They are yours for the next phone, the one after that, etc.

3 - It is easy to go back to stock, so you'd just do that and take the upgrade if you wanted to. That also is covered in link 3 of my signature.

4 - Try one, then try another. We each have our preferences and that's all it is, preferences. I use the car analogy alot. there are numerous cars. If one was truly the best there would only be one. The same is true of roms. If one totally blew the others out of the water for all peoples, there would only be one. Review them, look over the screenshots, then decide for you.
  4. Nukewire

Nukewire New Member

Thanks guys, got my Droid to pete's stock rooted 2.1. =)

I can use rom manager to try out all the custom roms right?
Search tags for this page

whats a rooted rom