HELP! Rooted and installed 2.1, now force closes ALL THE TIME!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by adam_moseley, Mar 3, 2010.

1. adam_moseley

adam_moseley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I rooted and installed 2.1 about 3 months ago, and everything seemed to run fine for a while, just until about 2 weeks ago, and now whenever i do anything i get the message,

"Sorry! The application Launcher (process com.android.launcher2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force Close.”

and I want to know if other people are getting this very much and if there is something that I can do to fix this. I know that people sometimes get this every once in a while, but I am getting mine excessivly about once every 5 minutes. It isnt a HUGE problem, but it just gets very annoying having to force close the home screen everytime I go to it, and having to wait a couple of seconds for the homescreen to reset. Please let me know if you have fixed this problem, or if there is something that I can do to make it go away. Thanks!

2. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    are you using live wallpapers?

and the hacking help section would have been a better place for this...

3. adam_moseley

adam_moseley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no i am not using live wallpapers. I am barely running any widgets, but it still makes me force close. I dont think that a program is causing it, i think it is the operating system...

4. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    you could always try a different 2.1 rom...

5. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +910
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Moved to a better area....

Good luck.

6. UggTheThug

UggTheThug Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if launcher2 is the one i think it is, the one with the 3D apps spinning around when u open the tab, then you should change ROMs to one that does not include it...it is very buggy and many developers are hust plain taking it out

7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ugg is spot on. There are basically two "stock" home setups, Home and Launcher(2). You will find several permeations of Home with 3, 5 or 7 screeens (I think), and all work well. None of the homes labeled as "Launcher" have been solid across the boards. There is/was work being done on the Laucher at Alldroid, but it has yet to perfect 100%. It is not a rom problem.

There are some things you can try to mitigate the fc issues with Launcher, like managing memory, fiddling with Live Wallpapers, but trust me they are not going to be 100%. The general advice is pick a 2.0.1 Home version, or run an aftermarket app ( GDE Home / DXtop ) if you have to have the launcher format.

An alternative method is to have both a Home and Launcher on the phone, and switch between the two. You might find that Launcher works well enough for your setup for certain things, but you can default back to Home when you get really annoyed. I think most of the development is somewhat idling on Launcher development, perhaps until 2.1 ota is out to see if this cleans things up. Also, with the ere25 builds now springing up, perhaps things will change, as this 2.1 build should be better optimized across the boards on the Droid.

Craig

Search tags for this page

force close after version change 2.1