Help - Problem flashing custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Chipo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On Droid 1 running 2.2. I've been lingering in the background as a Guest for several months reading posts. You could find me somewhere between being a noob and being almost minimally good. I like to think I'm just good enough to cause a lot of damage. Right now I'm trying to reverse damage. I took the plunge and rooted my phone. Now I'm having some problems loading a custom ROM.

I used Titanium Backup to backup apps and settings.

I then used ROM Manager to flash a recovery. Then using RM, I downloaded the latest Bugless Beast ROM. I renamed the ROM to "update.zip" (careful to not have the .zip.zip or lack of ext. problems others before have had.) Using ROM Manager I clicked "Install ROM from SD Card". I'm given a list of files and I choose update.zip at the bottom of the list. A window then pops up asking me if I want to "Backup Existing Rom" and "Wipe Data and Cache". Selecting both options, I click OK.

Here are the problems- The phone reboots. The screen with the exclamation mark standing over the droid appears. The phone does nothing (and I waited a long time to be sure). I press the volume up and camera button to enter recovery. Choosing the load update.zip fails. I chose wipe data (thinking it was required). Wiped data and the update.zip still fails to load.

What am I missing?

FYI - way back when froyo first came out, I downloaded and installed the update.zip from these forums with hardly any problems. One concern I have is that the current update.zip file may not be in the correct location. I think I used Astro to move the downloaded file to the root folder. Now I can't seem to wrestle Astro into making the same move. If I mount my SD card, my PC show no folder above the location of the current update.zip - but if I view the files in Astro, the update.zip file appears under the /mnt/sdcard and /sdcard folders (not sure why the two folder mimic each other though)

Also, I can't flash clockworkmod recovery because I still get stuck on the exclamation mark screen.

Thanks in advance for the awesome, problem solving answer I'm anticipating.

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Based on seeing the triangle and exclamation point it seems like you lost root. Is the first rom you have tried to install? What did you use to root?

3. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend rooted for me. Not sure what program, but it was one of the one click wonder root programs on a pc. On the app drawer I have an app that says "superuser' with an android-skull-and-crossbones icon. Also, I able to use wireless tether with no problems.

Do you still think I lost root?

I've tried to flash both BB and Cyanogen. Same problem with both.

#4 Chipo, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Appears so. How did you root?

6. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You are not the first person to experience problems after rooting with the one click apps. You can use the links in the other thread and reroot and you should be good.

7. Chipo

Chipo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First I've heard of losing root. I've been reading a lot (I mean A LOT) of threads on rooting and flashing. Must have missed it.

I will try to reroot and see where it gets me. I will update this thread if I accomplish anything.

Thanks for the info.

8. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I promise you are not the first to loose root after using the one click and trying to flash a rom.

Search tags for this page

having problems flashing custon rom