Help? Please :(

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oyvoid, that's true.. the voicemail and email are safe.. do you know of a way to retrieve texts?

OP
kaylakinetic

kaylakinetic

Reaction score
Oy, it's not my e-mail I need to read. It's text messages :/ They're only sent to the device once. And once they're deleted with the factory reset, they're gone and I can never read them.

OP
kaylakinetic

kaylakinetic

Reaction score
I found a program called androidscreencast that seems like it will work. I just can't get it to detect the droid. By some miracle I was able to mount the phone from memory by touching where I thought the notifications would appear for a USB mount. o.o Any ideas on how androidscreencast works?

OyVOid

Reaction score
Sorry Kaylakinetic not too familiar with androidscreencast works. But I did google it and there are a lot of search results for it. I just don't want to break any Droid forum etiquette by posting what other forums had said about it here.

Perhaps, the mods can help you?

m698322h

Reaction score
Well, if your phone was rooted you could look at this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/16868-screencast-best-reason-yet-root.html

To those of you having an issue similar to this one and your phone is rooted, you just may be able to do this. The only thing you would have to possibly do is "blindly" feel your way around the driod screen after you plug in the USB cable and mount the phone.

We need someone to come up with some apps that do not always need "root".

OP
kaylakinetic

kaylakinetic

Reaction score
Ah well, is rooting against Verizon terms? Because I have to send this phone back in two days when I get the replacement.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hold down X while booting up and it should bring you to a screen which allows a full reset or just a good reboot.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it is not against verizon TOS.. besides, they will reset it anyway when they get it back, they'll never know.. ;)

OP
kaylakinetic

kaylakinetic

Reaction score
Sam, I just read somewhere that it was :( Pretty sure if they find out I rooted it, I'll have to pay full retail for it or something ;~:

m698322h

Reaction score
It is debatable. If you can "blindly" root it, get your stuff, then restore it back to verizon status (if this can be done), they would never know.

But if the issue you are having is software based, the root may fail and you possibly "brick" your phone. If it is hardware (as I am suspecting), then you should be fine. Just make sure give it a good amount of time. I have not rooted mine yet, but that is coming soon after I get done testing this out to see if it is feasable to use in a corporate environment that is now migrating parts of the business over to google apps!

OP
kaylakinetic

kaylakinetic

Reaction score
Ah well. I guess it's just safer to not root it then. Guess those text messages and missed calls will never be seen :/ Haha.

m698322h

Reaction score
Another Thougt

By luck, if your very savvy and have a good "feel" of where things are on the screen to do this blindly:

- You can install the Android SDK on your computer
- Get to the main screen of your phone, tap the "Menu" button at the bottom of the phone (between the back and home button)
- Tap "Settings", it will be located on the lower right corner above the "Search"
- Tap "Applications" (it will be just over halfway down the display itself
- Tap "Development" (again just over halfway down the screen same place as "applications"
- Tap the right hand of the screen to select USB debugging. This will be 1/2 inch down from the top right corner of the display itself (jusst below the notification bar.
- Click OK, this will be located on the left side of the screen about 1/2 inch in. The button is about an inch from the bottom of the display.
- I think command in the SDK to use is DDMS.
- Then you would have to feel your away around the phone to your SMS messages and do a capture for every screen.

Here is an explanation how to use it (some is a repeat of the above detailed instructions):

Download and install the Android SDK. Don’t worry - unlike some SDKs, installing the Android kit is completely straightforward.

Enable USB Debugging on the device by going to Settings -> Applications -> Development and checking the proper box.

Plug the Android device into the USB port.

Find the folder containing the SDK you just installed. The location will vary depending on which operating system you’re using, and where you chose to install it. On all platforms, the folder name should begin with “android-sdk-”. For example, the folder for the current build on OS X is “android-sdk-mac_x86-1.0_r1″

Open the tools folder within the Android SDK folder.

Double click the file titled “DDMS”. This stands for Dalvik Debug Monitor Service.

In DDMS, your device should be listed. Highlight it by clicking on it.

In the application’s top menus, go to Device -> Screen capture .