Help please!!! Started to root now STUCK!

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
Lol thanks Huskerkate! I seriously don't have any idea what I would do without all of you guys! I would be UN-rooted forever :(

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ummm... how do i do a nandroid backup? And what is this titanium backup thingy?

Reboot into recovery and select the nandroid backup/restore option. Advanced Nandroid Backup and select all options then name it, something like Stock_root with the date. Don't use spaces. This will make a backup of your phone in the exact state it's in.

Titanium will backup all your apps so that when you switch Roms you can restore them all without having to redownload them all from market.

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
So.... are there any amazing apps to download on a rooted phone?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So.... I could download a rom based on a theme i like? Or should i do it based on how i want my phone to run? Are they all kinda the same?
if you have a good back-up then you can flash a ROM based on anything because you will always have your back-up to restore if you don't like something or it doesn't play nice with your device

I suggest testing a few different ROMs and see which one has the features you like and see what gives you the best performance on your Droid - As far as themes, almost all themes are available for all ROMs...(almost)

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

Firesong3k

Reaction score
Nice.. I've been following this thread all day hoping she gets it!! Congrats and welcome to the dark side... where the cookies taste great!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pickle, you have become some what of a celebrity around here. LOL!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shoot Me or DroCap for screenshots

Cache Cleaner or Cache Mate for clearing cache

Root Explorer for accessing all files on your phone

Root Tools - Multiple Functions ie: change fonts-change boot anime's etc...although some ROMs have these options available from within the settings menu

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
choosing a rom is partly personal preference, but largely has to do with your phone. every rom runs differently on every phone. you just have to try them out, and see which one your phone likes best. you can find a bunch of roms in the Custom Roms section, under various developers.

the only recommendation i would make would be to not start out with MIUI. it's not a bad rom - in fact it has taken the forum by storm. but, it's relatively new, and just ported over to D1, so they are still working some things out. for a first time rommer, i would go with something a little more "mainstream". also, i would not recommend Bugless Beast right off the bat. again, it's one of the more popular roms, from one of the best developers on the forum. but, he's made some tweaks to the rom, and the install process is a little tricky. i would wait until you get a little more comfortable with the rom flashing process before trying.

other than that, all the roms on here are good: Project Elite, Liquid Frozen Yogurt, Chevy, Lithium Mod, Shadow Rom, Cyanogen, Sapphire, Ultimate Droid, etc, etc, etc....

for a rom/theme/kernel install, here is the procedure i use, and it never fails to give a clean install:

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
3. boot into recovery
4. wipe data/factory reset
5. wipe cache
6. install rom zip from sdcard
7. reboot
8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
9. boot into recovery
10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
11. reboot
12. boot into recovery
13. flash kernel
14. reboot
15. enjoy!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the most important app is the Droid Forums.net app, which gives you instant access to this forum!! jk ;) seriously, it's a great app, and i highly recommend it.

get Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Quadrant Standard, Root Tools, Rom Manager - i use them the most.

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
OK when I try to do the nandroid back up... i selected all the options.... and then named it... stock_root10/21/2010 then i went to perform backup and seleted it. It just says... ERROR: Nandroid exited with status 31?? Uh oh... what did i do wrong? How do I fix it ? lol sorry guys!

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
If I format it will it delete all my pictures and videos and ringtones?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Also, for a first ROM I strongly suggest something a bit more user friendly on the install like CyanogenMod 6, Simply Stunning 4.8, Sapphire (not sure what it's up to) or Liquid Frozen Yogurt (again, not sure what version). Bugless Beast v.5 is a bear for noobs, so skip that one for now till you're more familiar and comfortable with flashing ROMs and setting them back up. Stay away from MIUI at the moment as it's only for ADVANCED users.