HELP: phone possibly bricked rooting 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Ry, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

i was following the instructions here:

2.1 SP Recovery SBF has arrived !

I barely even got anywhere. i was at the part when you puch su and superuser.apk...

"then:

In a terminal window (linux) Command prompt (windows)
    Navigate to the folder you downloaded the (su and Superuser.apk) files into.

* adb push su /system/bin/su"

That is the last step i got to. in my PC command line it seemed to be taking a while to execute, then i saw my phone shut off and i got the following in the windows command line:

Code:
    C:\Users\Big Ry\Downloads>adb push su /system/bin/su
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *

C:\Users\Big Ry\Downloads>adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    error: device not found

C:\Users\Big Ry\Downloads>adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    error: device not found

C:\Users\Big Ry\Downloads>
    Now it wont turn back on. what the hell happened?! i didnt even get close to rooting it!!!!!
  2. gavron

gavron Guest

1. Don't worry. You're going to be fine.

2. If it won't turn on the battery is shot. It won't charge off of the PC so plug it into the wall charger. Let it charge. Some report 6 hours is sufficient, some 8 hours, and most people recommend "24 hours" just to be sure.

3. You'll love seeing the M tomorrow morning.

4. Reflash the SBF and follow the instructions step by step. They'll work.

5. Enjoy.

E
  3. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

if it wont turn on then put it in the wall charger and let it charge for at least 3 hours. if that does not work then you may have indeed bicked your phone. maybe a rescue squad member could help better than me. i think its to complicated to do all of this why cant the just make it go back to 2.0.1 root with update.zip, then go from there. thats what i did for my friend worked great.
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I had to read through those directions a few times. Most of the roms come with busybox. Not sure what the end goal was here. I'm with the above posts...let it charge.

What is the ultimate goal? Just looking to root, wanting to apply a theme or flash a rom?

I know adb makes it easy to type from the pc's keyboard but I have yet to install the Android SDK and use the shell. I've swapped roms, installed kernels, and changed how apps look. For the first time rooter is adds an extra layer of complexity in. I know there are other guides out there, I took what's worked for me in the past I put a couple SBF guides together here. Feedback welcome as I'd like to make it as easy as possible to use.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
  5. christim

seriously...we stumble along just like others do. We sure don't have all the answers but thanks for the vote of confidence:) I agree the op's link was a bit complicated.
  6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

rescue squad comes to the ... well.. rescue again :)

"brick" is a very definitive term... let's use "non-booting" until all avenues of recovery are attempted ;)
  7. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

It is easy to root 2.1 just flash sprecovery with rsd lite, then use a rom that can be applied the update.zip method, and you're golden. But if you like stock 2.1 rooted, you can use pete's update.zip.
  8. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

what the freakin heck? that was the problem. how can the USB charger not CHARGE the phone? it even said it was charging on my phone...

well at least its not bricked :icon_ banana:
  9. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

i dont even know what that means

<<<structural engineer, not computer programmer

i dont mean to sound like a dick, i think im just still pissed from seeing that screen shut off. perhaps a beer will help.

anyway, i wanted to root for wifi tethering and to possibly install a GOOD rom, i need a fast one without glitches. stock 2.1 sux, and helix launcher sux more.
  10. christim

In laymans terms.....you found some pretty narly instructions out there.
    Do you know how charged the battery was at the start of this? Flashing roms can use a lot of juice. Have it plugged into a wall charger and you should see it start trying to boot up (m logo) and eventually succeed.

Look at the 4th link in my signature. That is what JC was referring too. A simple process and you're good to go. It looks like you already have downloaded the drivers and rsdlite software so this will be easy.
  11. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

bricking would entail frying inner components... which has happened maybe once in the history of the Droid... out of 1-2million+.... and that "frying" had to do with using a suspect kernel ;)

congrats that you recovered your phone :D
  12. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

well it was dying but i assumed the USB charger would charge it. its already booted and charging on the wall.
  13. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

I didn't even know about your post, that thing needs to be stuck up, and be the first thing you see when you log onto droidforums. Because there are a lot of people making rooting harder than is has to be with adb and the sdk, or going all the way back to 2.0.1. Thats only the way to go when you don't want a Rom, but even Pete fixed that.
  14. christim

that's gotta bring some sort of warm fuzzy feelings:)

The wall charger charges way faster than the usb charger. Most people will not flash roms or kernels unless they are over 60-70% charged. I always attempt such a feat on a full battery.

You may find you already are rooted, based on previous steps you have taken.

Go to the market, search for Android Terminal Emulator and install it. Once installed its called Terminal Emulator. run that and type su on your keyboard. If a # comes up, you are rooted.

You can install the wifi tether from here as an apk. android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Most roms include the wifi-tether already.
  15. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

and i just read the link in your sig...thats like a million times easy. why wouldnt the OP of the instructions i used just do that and make life 1,000,000 times easier?

do you need to use petes update to root? i want root, but im not particularly looking to run stock 2.1. i want something thats quick/snappy and wont give me issues (FC's, app glitches, service issues, etc). more screens is nice, but not essential. and i dont really care to overclock...though ill probably reinstall setcpu if i decide i want to
  16. christim

As soon as I saw what pete put together I decided to make the post, so it is new as of tonight. I just made it a sticky in the forum where it resides. It's got links to the droid-life videos too, which should also help assist folks getting through the process.
  17. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

If I may suggest JRummy's, it is really nice. It comes with a Bekit's 5 slot 1200mhz kernel out of the box. He will be updating to v0.7 tomorrow so I would wait for the new stuff. It's going to fix a couple of minor bugs, but I am running v0.6 right now with no FC's.
  18. christim

That same 4th link will show you how to root your stock rom. I've been happy with helix launcher, so far its has been my favorite alternative homescreen app but it sounds like you're looking for something else. There are a few out there. home++ was my previous screen of choice.

Any of the roms on this forum run smooth. You have on recommendation already. I know which one I'd recommend so I don't. Look them over find one that appeals to you. See how they look, and what features they come with.

Toldya the instructions you tried looked narly:) They work just fine, but go way in depth.

good luck and there is an entire forum here to lend a hand if need be.