HELP phone keeps trying to shut down

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DrDiff, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DrDiff

DrDiff New Member

HELP! I am rooted (see my sig) and the power button on the top of the phone doesn't work. The only way to wake up the phone from sleep mode is to slide open the keyboard. If it weren't for ROM Manager I would not be able to change the phone at all. Besides the power button not working, the phone keeps trying to shut itself down. I let it sit for a minute and the power down screen comes up as if the power button were held down.

There is nothing sticking the power button. I was going to go back to Android 2.0 but can not get the phone to go into restore mode (power button and up button on the direction pad) to go back to 2.0 and re-root.

It is not a boot loop. Pull the battery and the phone comes back to life in around 20 seconds. Thought it might be a virus but the droidsecurity antivirus says that the wired teather and wireless teather are viruses and that I should not run apps from outside sources. Can't do a thing with the phone other than just phone calls.

Thanks for the help.
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Well the first obvious question is... is your phone charged?? If you are in question about how charged, plug it up to your wall charger and let it sit for 2-3 hours.

Next on the outside chance that something is stuck that you cannot see, I would take a toothbrush and brush around the power button. After making sure its charged and the power button area is clean. Power the phone off by pulling the battery. Replace the battery, slide open the key board. Hold the x key down then hit and hold the power button. Once the M appears you do not have to hold the power button anymore BUT keep the x key held down. This will get you into recovery. Now if you are wanting to unroot so that you can return it, do the same things only instead of the x key push up on the d pad to get to the bootloader. Just remember that you do not have to hold the power button down the whole time, you only have to hold the x key or up on the d pad until either recovery or bootloader appears.

It goes without saying that you should return it to verizon and get a replacement (however you should unroot first) or if you have insurance you could make a claim, pay the $90 and get another phone. The insurance (Assurion) does not care if you are rooted or not so they will not do anything to you.

Hope this helps.
Search tags for this page
android keeps asking to power off
android phone keeps trying to poweroff
cant get verizon droid phone to shut down verizon droid incr
droid cell phone keeps trying to power up
iphone 4 keeps wanting to shut down
iphone constantly trying to power of

iphone keeps trying to power down

iphone keeps trying to power off

iphone keeps trying to shut down

iphone keeps trying to shut off