HELP... Phone has devolved into a freakin paperweight

zwegan

Reaction score
OK... so an update...

After spending an hour and 15 minutes on the phone with Verizon Customer Service, it seems like the problems I had above are all resolved, or at the very least, they have been addressed.

Data connectivity was restored to working condition after the rep reset the network on their end. Have a very solid and strong 3G signal now that does not drop (at least not so far). As for the software update, apparently HTC has not released the update to all devices, and are staggering to whom the update will go. Seems to be focusing on the 4G markets first, and then moving to the 3G markets. The update is rolling out based on area codes (or at least thats what I've been told, and it makes sense to me since I use an out of market area code). If your phone checks for the update and does not come back with any kind of result (i.e. the popup just closes) thats a good sign, as it means that it recognizes the update is there, but HTC has not authorized that area for download, yet.

However, somehow through a series of factory resets and battery pulls, the Market has been... well... its just not working. Every download goes straight to FAIL. Ugh, so I'm currently working on that and will hopefully have that resolved soon. Other than that, its running much better than it was before. Have to say, one of my better Customer Service experiences in a while. I think those Tech guys are more willing to help when they realize you know what you're talking about.

If it is a staggered rollout it isn't based on area codes.

My wife was able to get the update and I am not.

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
OK... so an update...

After spending an hour and 15 minutes on the phone with Verizon Customer Service, it seems like the problems I had above are all resolved, or at the very least, they have been addressed.

Data connectivity was restored to working condition after the rep reset the network on their end. Have a very solid and strong 3G signal now that does not drop (at least not so far). As for the software update, apparently HTC has not released the update to all devices, and are staggering to whom the update will go. Seems to be focusing on the 4G markets first, and then moving to the 3G markets. The update is rolling out based on area codes (or at least thats what I've been told, and it makes sense to me since I use an out of market area code). If your phone checks for the update and does not come back with any kind of result (i.e. the popup just closes) thats a good sign, as it means that it recognizes the update is there, but HTC has not authorized that area for download, yet.

However, somehow through a series of factory resets and battery pulls, the Market has been... well... its just not working. Every download goes straight to FAIL. Ugh, so I'm currently working on that and will hopefully have that resolved soon. Other than that, its running much better than it was before. Have to say, one of my better Customer Service experiences in a while. I think those Tech guys are more willing to help when they realize you know what you're talking about.

If it is a staggered rollout it isn't based on area codes.

My wife was able to get the update and I am not.
Well, whatever it is, I had it verified from two different Verizon reps that it is being staggered on HTC's end. The reason some phones are able to grab and others aren't is because HTC has only opened it to those who can grab it, and the ones who don't get any kind of response have their software "seeing" the update, but are unable to grab it because HTC hasn't authorized their number, yet.

Hope that helps

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hopefully soon you'll be granted the unbelievable privilege of downloading a 70+ MB file over 1X.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I wish everyone had the same experience I've had with my phone. Except for when Verizon had network issues I've not had any problems at all. The phone is fast, never reboots, GPS locks quickly, internet speeds are amazing! So far this is the best phone I've owned.

One thing I do with all my phones immediately is root it as soon as possible.

I installed only the new radio that just came out and have been running it for a few days. I think everyone will be happy with it. It seems to be an improvement and I hope it solves the issues that others seem to have. I want other people to be as happy as I am.

Good luck, I hope you get it all worked out. But I would skip the waiting for updates and root and take control. There is plenty of help out there.