Help on changing two last things...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by osynergyoescapeo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo New Member

Hey, new to the forum community here but have been using the site for a while to get info on ROMs and other things to customize my Droid to the full extent. I have a rooted motorola droid running JRummy's Froyo Kangernade v5.0.9 with updated baseband and stock kangernade kernels. I was reading a Tutorial on how to change the Motorola "M" boot logo wondered if anyone could tell me wether or not I could change my boot logo with my current Droid set up? I wanna keep running Froyo seeing as I've had absolutley no problems with anything in this ROM and it runs the smoothest and fastest of all the roms I have tried. I have everything on my phone customized except for the M logo and the "Verizon Wireless" text on the lock screen and the pull down menu. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of a video or more detailed tutorial to help. I had read somewhere that you could install an SBF file that includes a changed m boot logo, but can not really find any (at least that catch my eye) I would greatly appreciate an SBF file with a biohazard symbol or skull and crossbone boot logo in place of the stock M logo that would allow me to restore my custom ROM on to that SBF. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also If you could change the "verizon wireless" text on the lock screen and the pull down menu, I'd be even more extatic... Anyone able to do this for me or help me do this would have my undying graditude!
  2. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

I dont know about the boot "M" but here is how to change the Verizon Wireless.

In the update.zip that has your theme(or wherever eles you want)
    go into the framework-res.apk and go into the XML folder.
    open eri.xml with a hex readed (HxD is what i use)
    scroll down a little ways and you'll see something like V.e.r.i.z.on. .W.i.r.e.l.e.s...65
    Just put your cursor before the V and start typing, it should overwire the letters as you type. make sure you keep the "." between each letter and dont go over 16 characters.
    you're done!
    install update.zip with the modified eri.xml
  3. osynergyoescapeo

I used the Hxd Hex editor to change the eri file in the update.zip changed it to what I want, kept it below 16 characters and when I booted up my phone using the edited zip file my phone kept having all these errors the lock screen didn't work at all, it couldn't connect and i had to restore my previous nandroid backup
  4. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

then you made an error, if you make any mistake at all in the eri.xml your phone wont work.. email me a copy of your eri.xml and ill take a look.. alm0614@gmail.com
  5. osynergyoescapeo

ok, i figured out changing my boot logo from the motorola M and made my own blue biohazard boot logo, pretty sick... but i still cant get the verizon wireless text to change correctly, i got the eri file to allow the phone to load and connect and everything worked except the text is all boxed in question marks instead
  6. osynergyoescapeo

I found an app that does the text change for you, pulldown editor, but they don't have support for my current ROM but i did request it so shortly i'll have my entire phone cuxtomized!!! if anyone stubles upon this thread and is wondering on how i changed my boot logo, this is the tutorial i used, but before you start following those instructions listed in the tutorial, you need to have 2.0.1 sbf file, frhed (free hex editor), sbfcodec, and rsdlite. Then you should follow the instructions on this tutorial and if you follow it to the T, you will shortly (after some painstaking time consuming editing and messing with files) have your own custom boot logo, i'll post my boot logo as soon as i get a chance, and i'd like if anyone does find this thread and decides to do this, please post your experience with the tutorial and my help, and a pic of what you changed your boot logo to if you can... feel free to text me, aim message me, email me, private message me, public message me, or email me if you get snagged during the process. phone number is 14403104269, email is osynergyoescapeo@gmail.com, and my aim is osynergyoescapeo... Here is the link for the tutorial i used... [Hack] Replace Motorola boot logo with your own image - Android Forums HAPPY HACKING!!!!
  7. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Here is how to change the eri banner
    First make a backup in clock work or whatever recovery you use just in case something goes wrong you can always get back to how you are now

I used root explorer and went into /system/framework then selected framework-res.apk and it gives you three options select view. Once inside framework-res.apk select the res file and then long press on eri.xml and select extract. Then go back and copy the entire framework-res.apk file by long pressing it and select copy and paste it to your sd card. Go to sdcard/extracted and long press the eri.xml file and move it to the root of your sdcard.

Mount your phone to your computer and download the program HxD hex editor if you don't already have it on your pc. Move the eri.xml and the framework-res.apk file to your desktop and open the eri.xml file in HxD hex editor. Find the part that says Verizon Wireless and delete this part and type your own banner. Make sure it is under 16 characters and for me just to be safe since George's Droid was slightly shorter then verizon wireless i put a few spaces after the word droid to make it the same length as verizon wireless this i've heard is not needed i've heard though. Save this in HxD and then go to your framework-res.apk and open it using 7zip and selecting open archive. Go to res then xml and delete the eri.xml file and replace it with the one you just edited in HxD hex editor. Close 7zip and then drag the framework-res.apk file back to the root of your sdcard make sure to delete the original one if it is still on your sdcard. Unmount from your computer and open the app terminal emulator on your phone. Type the following commands

su
    sysrw
    cd /sdcard
    cp -R framework-res.apk /system/app
    sysro
    sync
    reboot

When your phone reboots you should have your custom eri banner let me know how it goes and if you need any help with anything feel free to message me back. And if you prefer to use the update.zip method over pushing the file in terminal emulator let me know and i will make you an update.zip with your custom eri banner.

Here are the programs you will need for your computer
    7zip
    7-Zip

HxD Hex Editor
    http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...-10891068.html

And the m logo i wanted to change myself but learned that it is part of the system bios which you shouldn't really mess with and it would be a ton of work to change that one picture so just stay with boot animations
  8. osynergyoescapeo

ok, i edited the eri in the framework apk and the command sysrw didn't work... I'd like my banner to say "Life is hollow" if your going to make me an update file..... As far as changing the motorola M boot logo goes, It's pretty easy to do, the hardest part is changing all the hex coding for the boot files and the picture you want to use, if you want I could attempt to make you an sbf file with a picture of your choice... You would neet to test the sbf file, by flashing it with rsdlite but if it doesn't work, it won't brick your phone, you'd just have to reflash a working sbf file with rsdlite that isn't edited onto your droid... but if you did decide you wanted me to do that for you, you would have to use rsdlite to flash the sbf file with your custom picture then you would have to re root your phone from the stock 2.0.1 (because thats the sbf file you edit to get your own boot logo applied) to rooted 2.1 and then back to your current ROM and re setup all your stuff... It's up to you, but i'd make you the custom sbf file, thats the hard part, then all you'd have to do is the applying of that sbf file, re rooting your phone from stock 2.0.1 to rooted 2.1, and then applying your ROM and setup again
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

I would just go in an change the eri.xml file that is in your theme, or ROM if you arent using a theme... that way you dont have to deal with the cmd prompt
  10. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Just adb push the edited framework-res.apk back to system/framework

works perfect

If you pull the eri.xml from Chevys SS 4.4-4.5 you can get more then 16 letters in your banner and it works with other Roms!

Also for anyone having problems your letters HAVE TO stay in between the 3 dots on either side of the banner
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  11. osynergyoescapeo

adb push? I'm still kind of new to the world of droid hacking and customizing, i've been doing pretty well, but haven't run into that.... could you explaing and give a quick how to for me pls?
  12. osynergyoescapeo

If someone could make me an update file that is confirmed to work with the banner "Life is hollow" obviously i want it to be rooted 2.1 nothing fancy, because i will be downloading my apps and re applying my ROM and setup... it would be greatly appreciated... I've tried everything that i know how to do and no luck....
  13. osynergyoescapeo

Thanks to alm0614 I have finally got everything customized... thanks all of you who tried to help
  14. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

:) you are welcome.. always willing to help
  15. cystic

cystic New Member

you should post a copy of your blue biohazard sbf.. make a new thread and ask other people to post theirs. Would be nice to try others out without having to make one each time.

16. osynergyoescapeo

Good idea, infact i'm gonna write up my own instructions and then post my sbf file with my blue biohazard symbol and a picture of it and allow people to post their own sbf files and pictures along with the files and to follow the instructions and ask for help so they can do it them selves...
  17. osynergyoescapeo

I have posted my own instructions to change your boot logo and create your own on my own thread and i'm also collecting sbf files with the custom boot logos so if you find one you like you could just download it rather than creating your own... anyone who needs help or can post their sbf file cotaining a custom boot logo along with a picture of it should head over there!
  18. osynergyoescapeo

19. osynergyoescapeo

if your looking for my help or want to say something to me, go to my new thread (link to that thread is in my last post) and post questions there it's the only thread i have notifications for...