HELP! OG D1 rooted, but can't load ROM

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by jwladisc, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jwladisc

jwladisc New Member

I have a D1 and after waiting two years, finally decided to root my phone. I rooted no problem using SPRecovery. Was able to install Busybox, Busybox installer, and Titanium backup no problem. I am currently running FRK76 stock. I tried installing a ROM from BB using the SPRecovery method, but it ended up sending me into a boot loop (waited about 15-20 minutes before I restored). So the question is, am I able to install all ROM's using the SPRecovery method? Also, which ROM should I be loading using a D1 with the FRK76? I have other issues preventing me from using ROM installer or terminal emulator. This is because I decided to root, and it was driven by the fact that my phone no longer gets service, and I also get stuck in airplane mode even when it shows it disabled. I am waiting for the D4 to upgrade, so I wanted to see if a ROM would fix my issue. I have gone through tech support (both phone and in store) and they are unable to fix this issue. I have also done research and it seems like others have had a similar issue, with no fixes I could find. So last resort before upgrade is to see if a ROM will fix it.
    So... Which ROM should I use, and can I use it through SPRecovery using the update.zip method?

I cannot connect to the market to install other apps, so this is my only option (somehow I was able to connect twice to get Busybox and others, just if anyone is asking....) Please help...
  2. drewrivera

drewrivera Member

Hi. I think I see your problem. (I think). Pretty much what you did was root a stock d 1 without actually going through the process. You just went to update. Zip and installed that, but what you must do is, and always, is make a back up of your original build before you root. Your lucky people like Peter Alfonso help us out like crazy with those files (peteralfonso.com). Download a mc 1 file and use that with rsd lite, let it flash, catch the boot and THEN use the update. Zip. Once you do that you can install a ROM from your sd, install ROM manager or raid zero and download ROM like gpa 19, Peter Alfonso,. Liquid 3.2, cush 1.5, and the list goes on. Still working on ice cream but no camera or calling. Let me know if that works.

Milestoner
  3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

SPRecovery doesn't root your phone. Did you use "Root Droid 1 Regardless?" If so, you can make a backup in SPR of your stock+root setup then install update.zip. You have to wipe data and cache (AT LEAST) to install a ROM. If you didn't do that you will have to restore your backup or apply the update.zip after you have wiped.
  4. jwladisc

jwladisc New Member

I was able to root sucessfully, and load in GPA19. Did not fix the issue of no service though. I am not sure if it is something that would be hardware or software related?? I assumed since I was able to root and load the GPA ROM, and the issue did not go away, that it must have been hardware related??? Anyway, couldn't live any longer without a phone, so I went in a couple of days ago and decided to pick up a Razr. Pretty sweet so far, and also through this process I learned how easy it was to root, and load ROM's and got a fairly well rounded education on everything in general from spending a few hours or more going through all the forums and instructions that everyone has so graciously posted for everyone so as to not have to go through the same mistakes... Kudos to everyone on here, even though I wasn't able to stay old school and keep my D1...
  5. jwladisc

jwladisc New Member

Rooting was the easy part, the hard part was being able to load a ROM since I couldn't connect to the app store to get ROM manager. Loaded a few ROM's and got caught in boot loops, even after wiping everything. Since my app store connection was intermittent (even though all other wireless worked fine), I was finally able to get ROM manager, so I loaded GPA 19 that way as well and got caught in a boot loop once again.... Didn't realize my SPRecovery back up was different then using ROM manager, so I didn't think it was necessary to do a back up since I just did one..... Well I did need one, and the only way to get out of the boot loop was to factory reset... Doing a factory reset was the best thing that happened to me since it took me out of the boot loop and actually loaded the ROM for me... Seems like this is the same as wiping everything even though I had already done it... Seems like an extra wipe after wards is pretty common, and not something I picked up on when doing my research..... Needless to say I loaded GPA19 successfully, but it didn't fix my no service issue. That was my last resort unless some developers were going to respond back letting me know if they could find something that could be reset within the software, and I got no replies, so I am assuming that is must be hardware related... I sucked it up and got a Razr, so problem solved, but had to spend money I didn't want to spend since the D1 had been treating me just fine until that point... Thanks for the help though, and if anyone finds a solution please post, as this seems to be not that uncommon.
Search tags for this page

frk76

phone rooted but can't load rom

rooted but can't download roms