Help! No silent mode after recent update

gekko3558

Reaction score
Honestly, what was Google thinking?

I like the ability to quickly put my phone into silent or vibe depending on the situation. I don't see why it's necessary to go through menus deep in settings to get partially what we had in 2.1 OS. The only thing I can think of was that some inexperienced users complained about missing phone calls because they confused silent with vibe. This is my greatest complaint to the update beside the fact that flash 10 is still not on my Droid.

Though don't let me make 2.2 sound like a bad update. So far it's not bad. Like the changes to the camera.

I'm with ya, I love 2.2 except for this absolutely stupid move to combine silent and vibrate. I dont know a single person who is even OK with this loss of functionality. I'm sorry but vibrate in NO WAY is "silent", especially in meetings. And there are hundreds of scenarios where I would only want vibrate and no sound.

Yeah yeah yeah "its there", but it really is a loss of functionality. No matter how you look at it, they removed the vibrate mode. Instead they have vibrate as a global option to either be on while on silent or on while not on silent... just plain dumb.

psychicdroid

Reaction score
Your phones actually vibrate? I've tried every setting and the ONLY time I can get mine to actually vibrate is if I select the option to vibrate always. Then it only vibrates for calls, not for texts or emails. I've tried the option of vibrating only when in silent mode and it just sits there.

gekko3558

Reaction score
Your phones actually vibrate? I've tried every setting and the ONLY time I can get mine to actually vibrate is if I select the option to vibrate always. Then it only vibrates for calls, not for texts or emails. I've tried the option of vibrating only when in silent mode and it just sits there.

Yeah I dont know whats up with this update...

check in your text message options to Vibrate on notifications... that should fix the only vibrate during calls issue...

in terms of the others... im ready to root this sucker and install custom roms or whatever... sick of dealing with the official updates removing functionality

mixtape

Reaction score
Maybe we'll see a mini 2.2.1 update if enough people bring this to Google's attention :).

GAstorino

Reaction score
I did notice they changed the name to Sound Settings from something else so I had to change the shortcut to get access and on my 2.2 download my options in Vibrate seem to be always, never, only in silent mode and only when not in silent mode. This seems like it covers all bases unless someone has different options.

gekko3558

Reaction score
I did notice they changed the name to Sound Settings from something else so I had to change the shortcut to get access and on my 2.2 download my options in Vibrate seem to be always, never, only in silent mode and only when not in silent mode. This seems like it covers all bases unless someone has different options.

What about having a vibrate mode WITHOUT eliminating silent mode? The fundamental modes of most phones is silent > vibrate > volume... now it just just "silent mode" and normal mode with an option 2 menus deep to override the silent mode with vibrate

bottom line you can not have both a silent mode and a vibrate mode

dwagner88

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why they changed it. What on earth was wrong with the way it worked before? You know, the way EVERY SINGLE CELL PHONE ON EARTH works. They just made it worse. And they broke Pandora. I like only two things about Froyo: The browser and the new market. That's it.

jpw173

Reaction score
THANK YOU for the info! I HAVE to have my phone on silent at work as well.

iPirate

Reaction score
I really like 2.2 but all those nice things are almost not worth the silent vibrate change they put in because I use that everyday... :(