HELP! No outgoing mail, but incoming fine...

investroll

Reaction score
I am trying to connect to my university's Novell Groupwise email service. The inbound email works just fine using the imap settings they have provided me. The outbound does not work. My university says that they have had no success connecting any android devices to their server. One suggested workaround was to use outgoing.verizon.net as the outbound smtp server. However, it looks like verizon has stopped providing their outbound smtp service.

I am getting ready to return this droid if I can't get it working right. Any suggestions?

gmschmitz

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I can get some of my email addresses to work that are on a GoDaddy server, but I have a server at lonex.com and I can't get the outgoing email to work. I have tried every setting they have asked me to port 25... port 2525 I am using the [email protected] and no SSL as requested. I have checked the user name and password and have spent all day on it and nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays !!

Gary

OP
I

investroll

Reaction score
I have found a workaround: Use my gmail account for the outbound mail

smtp server: smtp.gmail.com
port: 465
Security type:SSL

then check the require sign in box and enter [email protected] and your gmail password.

The only problem with the workaround is that the outbound email comes from my gmail account and not my university account.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Does your Groupwise server require login before sending? (Usually the case these days) Make sure you have the checkbox and information set for your outbound setting. Also common on many servers is to require an SSL connection. By default, e-mail is set to no security for outbound and you would need to change this if the server required it.

mmcompute

Reaction score
Change the default outbound port number. I have a computer customer whose MS Outlook would not send e-mails but it could receive just fine. I worked with tech support (of the company who hosted his e-mail) to determine that the default outbound port was, for some reason, not working for him. I think the default was 25 and we changed it to 587. Works gang busters now.