HELP! no 3G symbol, no connection, no email, etc

eao76

Reaction score
For the past 24hrs I have had no Internet service on my Droid Motorola phone (no 3G symbol, no connection, no email, etc). I have tried toggling on /off airplane mode, I have turned phone on / off, * 228 option 2 & taken battery out/ in with no changes. The only thing that worked is I turned on /off data enabled. After that I had a connection for about 5 minutes and then POOF gone again. I am in a major metropolitan area and service is not an issue. My husband has the same phone and his is working just fine. I have not run any updates recently (there are no update notifications currently either), I have not added any new apps, & Wi-Fi is off (I don't ever use it). I have had my phone 6+ months with no issues until now. Can anyone suggest anything to solve this problem?

PS I am not tech savvy so keep that in mind when answering, thank you in advance!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To be honest. Either your antenna is going bad or there's something stuck somewhere. Have you tried a Factory data reset...or running it in safe mode?

Safe mode is enabled by powering off. Then slide open the keyboard, hold the menu key down while powering on. Safe mode runs the phone with only system apps working.

OP
E

eao76

Reaction score
I just tried safe mode like you explained and now I have my 3G symbol & connection (well see if it lasts). Since this seems to be working right now what would that indicate?

PS How would I know if I am in safe mode? Does it say "safe mode activated" on the phone somewhere? Because right now I don't see any difference in the phone. I guess I just want reassurance that I actually put the phone in safe mode correctly & this is just not a fluke.
Thanks again!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
:welcome:

If your phone was actually in safe mode, I _thought_ it would say so (though I've never had to do it, so I can't be sure). Perhaps the simple reboot has fixed it. I had a similar problem just tonight, though I was wanting to connect via WiFi. A reboot fixed it. But when that doesn't work, then a factory data reset as jstafford1 suggested usually does the trick as well.

good luck

donelam304

Reaction score
i have lost my signal and 3g signal before. but it usually resets itself within 5 min or so. never had it not recover though.

verizondroid2global

Reaction score
hey i had the same problem today. a quick and easy way to fix it is to call another verizon customer and let it ring . tell them not to answer and hang up. wait 10 seconds and you should have 3g again. it worked for me so it should work without any extreme modification

ttowndex

Reaction score
I have the same issue and have tried all the suggestions in this thread so far. I'm thinking my antenna has gone south.
My question now is, can it be fixed or should I just start shopping for a new one?

ttowndex

Reaction score
I'm fully stock.....I took the battery out for a couple of hours this afternoon. No change.
I noticed that if the phone is sleeping, when I first wake it up with the top button, the 3g emblem will be there, but then disappears after a second or two.