HELP!!! My Droid 1 has gone BESERK!!!!

rayswift

Reaction score
So my droid is going crazy all of a sudden. I cant even unlock my phone with my "unlock" pattern because without me even touching the screen, its pushing various buttons for really fast and I get prompt to "Try Again in 30 Seconds."

Now when I do get lucky enough to unlock the phone after trying 10x, my touchscreen will freeze for a couple seconds then start opening apps by itself, opening the browser and zooming in and out REALLY fast and doing other random crap without me touching it.

I havent put this phone by water or anything to damage the phone. Always in my leather case and on my desk charging when Im not using it.

I need to know what I can do because since I cant swipe my phone, Im missing important calls since I cant answer them and receiving txt messages but cant reply since my Droid wont allow me to click on the input bar to enter a message. Now I dont want people to feel like im ignoring them.

This phone is a refurbished one. This is my first Verizon contract. I had to exchange my 1st Droid 9 months into my first year because the screen all of a sudden wouldnt power up but I can hear my phone ring and receive txt msgs. I get this refurb and 5 months into having it, this happens.

This is REALLY REALLY frustrating. I dont want to drive to a verizon store to have them say to me "sorry cant do anything about it" since my closest store is 25 minutes away. Should I call Verizon about it first and see what they can do?

Am I able to get another refurbished phone? or am I $#!T outta luck.

Thanks in advance!

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Interesting to see how many phones are doing this now that we've had the Droid for over a year. My phone did the same exact thing, thankfully AFTER I upgraded and bought a Thunderbolt.

I posted this in another thread similar to this one: [video=youtube;QKw7UkEtkSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKw7UkEtkSM]YouTube - Droid 1 Crazy 003[/video]

I too couldn't get the unlock slider to work - took a good 10+ tries and then the screen wouldn't register my touches. And yes, it was going in/out like yours. :/

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Have you tried doing a factory reset? I had my droid go crazy once a long time ago and a factory reset fixed it all.

OP
R

rayswift

Reaction score
I havent done a factory reset yet. Ill try it. If I do it, will I lose all my photos, videos and MP3's? Can I take out the SD card before I do a factory reset?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Factory reset does nothing to your sdcard. You would lose all your texts and call logs and apps but when you re enter your account it will restore your contacts and it should restore your apps. Basically if it is store on the phone it will be gone. if it is on the sdcard it will be fine. If it would make you feel better to take out your sdcard you can

OP
R

rayswift

Reaction score
Thanks Matt!! I appreciate it. Ill give it a try and hopefully it will work. ***fingers crossed***

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Thanks Matt!! I appreciate it. Ill give it a try and hopefully it will work. ***fingers crossed***

no problem, do you know how to do a factory reset in recovery mode incase you can't get to the settings panel?

OP
R

rayswift

Reaction score
Thanks Matt but I just did a factory reset and didnt do anything. ERRRR!!! So am I assed out? I been reading up on other threads and some people were saying "this is my 5th refubished phone."

This was my first refurbished phone. Am I able to get another one free of charge?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Thanks Matt but I just did a factory reset and didnt do anything. ERRRR!!! So am I assed out? I been reading up on other threads and some people were saying "this is my 5th refubished phone."

This was my first refurbished phone. Am I able to get another one free of charge?

You should be able to get a new one, do you happen to have the extended warranty?

Robdiesel

Reaction score
Dude I feel for you.. I went through the same thing with my droid1. Send it back to Verizon if you have insurance they will send you another.. I think that happens to touch screens after awhile.. good luck bro.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
R

rayswift

Reaction score
@ Matt, I cant remember if i purchased it. I gotta take a look at my receipt but im pretty sure I didnt purchase an extended warranty when I first bought the phone back in mid-December 09.

@ Rob, when I brought in my original Droid1 that I bought, for a refurbished one back in October 2010, they didnt say anything to me regarding insurance. I guess it didnt catch my mind since I had a lot going on that day.

So am I officially phucked?! I dont have the money right now to be spending $100+ on a new cell phone to replace it and I just paid $100+ on my bill 2 days ago. What are my chances of getting another refurbished one if I bring it into the store?

Also, do you think they will be lenient and able me to upgrade my phone early? My 2 year contract ends mid December. =)

Thanks in advance people!

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
@ Matt, I cant remember if i purchased it. I gotta take a look at my receipt but im pretty sure I didnt purchase an extended warranty when I first bought the phone back in mid-December 09.

@ Rob, when I brought in my original Droid1 that I bought, for a refurbished one back in October 2010, they didnt say anything to me regarding insurance. I guess it didnt catch my mind since I had a lot going on that day.

So am I officially phucked?! I dont have the money right now to be spending $100+ on a new cell phone to replace it and I just paid $100+ on my bill 2 days ago. What are my chances of getting another refurbished one if I bring it into the store?

Also, do you think they will be lenient and able me to upgrade my phone early? My 2 year contract ends mid December. =)

Thanks in advance people!

you are in the group of people that still have the annual upgrade. so you could use your annual upgrade on a thunderbolt or something else but you will be adding another two years to your contract

DroidLuva

Reaction score
Interesting to see how many phones are doing this now that we've had the Droid for over a year. My phone did the same exact thing, thankfully AFTER I upgraded and bought a Thunderbolt.

I posted this in another thread similar to this one: YouTube - Droid 1 Crazy 003

I too couldn't get the unlock slider to work - took a good 10+ tries and then the screen wouldn't register my touches. And yes, it was going in/out like yours. :/

Mine starting doing this crazy mess also. I ended up having to waste my upgrade on a new phone. I got the Droid X and hopefully will not have this same issue. If it does, taking it back and demanding a new and different phone with my insurance coverage.

yiannis

Reaction score
My droid did this, but because I had it playing music in the bathrooom while showering...

The replacement seems alright. By the way I am paying $1.99 per month for some warranty, what does it cover?

OP
R

rayswift

Reaction score
So what do I do? Can i call verizon, ask for another refurb and if they refuse, can threatening to end my contract early, make them hook it up with another phone?

I dont feel like wasting time and money, driving 20 minutes away since thats where my nearest verizon store is. Thanks!