Help! Moto Droid slightly bricked

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Ok, it's not actually bricked because it does turn on, and even loads ... but shows "no service" and the battery icon in the top bar is red with an outline. I have a fully charged battery in the phone so it's not the battery. It's been plugged in for hours and still says "connect your charger" ...

I was trying to unroot because my gmail has been giving me constant problems... that topped with the fact that I'm getting the mute-of-death when on the phone so I was going to contact VZW for help.

I flashed the sbf file via rsd lite and everything seemed to be working fine ... but the phone rebooted into this strange 'no service' mode. The red LED light is constantly on once it's rebooted and it reboots over and over anytime I try to do anything. I get a popup message saying, "Sorry! Process system is not responding." with the option to force close, wait and report. I was able to check the "about phone" and it's still running Bugless Beast V0.1 Kernel Version 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788

I've tried to flash the sbf over and over to no avail.

Any ideas? If it was showing "stock" instead of BBV0.1 I would try VZW but until I am able to get it back to stock and get rid of all traces of root, I don't want to do that.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If it is still showing BBV0.1 the sbf didn't work. When you boot into the bootloader(power+up) what does it say??

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Wow, I just have to thank you because I clicked the link in your sig, followed the instructions on the rescue squad forum ... and downloaded a different sbf file than I've been using tonight. It worked and got me back to stock 2.0.1 and I have service!

So thank you very much, jstafford1, for your sig! You saved me! I was pretty worried. Not worried enough to stay with stock very long but ... concerned anyway.

:icon_ banana:

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Ok, now that I'm 'unrooted' and back to VZW Stock 2.0.1 I assumed I'd get an almost instant OTA update to 2.1 or 2.2 ... but nope, it's been over 12hrs and nothing.

Any ideas?

Jejackson

Reaction score
do what you did to get back to 2.0.1 with 2.1, that sbf is floating somewhere around here too

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What is your goal? Stock 2.1 or rooted 2.2 or something else?

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Well, I was rooted with Bugless Beast but have been having trouble with my gmail and my phone 'muting' during calls. Before I call VZW for help, I wanted to get the phone back to stock - whatever that is ... since I was running 2.2 I missed any OTA update that came out, if it did ... so my goal would be to at the very least, get to 2.1

That said, when I tried to go from 2.2 back to 2.1, I had SO much trouble. The only thing that actually saved me was getting back to 2.0.1 ... since then, I tried doing the same thing to get to 2.1 and I get stuck on the Motorola logo.

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Ugh... this is an 'update' of my original and ongoing drama.
I notice that I have no internet ... my browser, tapatalk, and other apps using the internet/data don't seem to be working properly.

I check the phone info and it says my phone is up to date but it's 2.0.1 so we know that's not right.

there seem to be many, many threads with links to sbf files ... I have downloaded several of them and tried various files and so far have not had any luck in updating my phone to 2.1

Reaction score
Try this:

--Settings--Wireless & network--Mobile networks

Ensure that "Data Enabled" is checked, this provides 3G data. If this option isn't checked you have no internet. Also, this is an option on my Rooted CM6 RC3 phone and my not be available on the ROM you are running. At the bare minimum this "should" get you some internet connectivity (if this is actually your issue).

After you have internet you can try to either root or you could update to a non-rooted 2.1 version and go to Verizon as was your original plan.

Rooting your Droid:

Motorola Droid

Updating to stock 2.1:

How to manually install Android 2.1 for Droid – Android and Me

I hope this helps you in some way.

Jejackson

Reaction score
That link will help me out someday, I've been trying to find a 2.1 sbf. Thank you

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The 3rd link in my sig is the same as the one in jstafford1's signature.

I tried all those files and personally put them up on the ftp site where they can be obtained. Glad to hear folks are finding them of use!

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I never had to check that roaming/data thing before but that was the issue with my internet!

My newest update ... I called Verizon on another matter (my DD's LG enV3 wasn't sending/receiving pix messages even after the VZW update at their store the other day) ... while on the phone, the mute-of-death occurred over and over which is common while I'm talking on my Droid. It's been an ongoing issue and they keep sending me refurbished droids to try to fix the issue. I had Screen Suite which helped but was interfering with some other apps so I had it turned off while trying to work out my data issues this week.

After talking with the guy, he tried to get a brand new Moto Droid sent to me as a replacement because, in his opinion, the problem just may be the refurbished droids.

Turns out they have NO new moto droids in stock because as others have posted, they are stopping the manufacturing of them. So he put me on hold for a while, came back and said he was sending me a brand new Droid X without extending my contract. It should be here Thursday. I never even mentioned a DX.

I'm not sure what to think about that ... my head was kinda spinning. I saw them at Walmart and they are pretty huge but snappy. I hope I love it but either way, I love this forum and the supportive folks here! :)

Daver

Reaction score
I was having this same problem after trying to root my friends droid...go figure I've done it to mine, my dads, etc and now it screws up. I'm trying to flash the stock 2.0.1 sbf and its failed once, waiting to see if it works a second time. Any thoughts? I really want to save this thing as its not mine....FML