HELP!!! Milestone stuck at "M" after 2.2 update

NatesMom0721

Reaction score
So I am new to the droid phone, had a bb religiously forever. I downloaded the Motorola Software Updater to update my Milestone to the 2.2. I followed all of the instructions on screen to the point and when it said to disconnect the USB and restart my phone is where I hit an issue. My phone will not turn off and if I do a battery pull it is stuck at the Motorola "M" logo.... I am still learning about the droid so please tell me what I need to do. I have tried to do the whole hold down the camera and power button but that does nothing. I did back up my phone before I attempted this but when I plug it in nothing happens.

Any and all help is appreciated!

osprey23

Reaction score
Not much details provided to know what went wrong. Anyway, when it is stuck at the "M" logo, it is likely that it is not able to boot, one possibility is you had previously rooted the phone and have App2SD.

I believe your upgrade had gone through fine, but either App2SD or other non-standard tweaking prevented it from booting, as these scripts had made some changes.

You just need to perform a factory reset on your phone and you should be able to boot with your upgrade firmware.

You need to get into recovery mode and perform a factory reset. Here's how:
1. Remove the battery to shut down the phone.
2. Slide open your keyboard and put back the battery.
3. Hold down "X" on your keyboard and press & hold the power button, until you see a triangle with an "!", release the buttons.
4. Press & hold the volume up on the volume rocker and press the camera button.
5. You will now be presented with a menu to perform a factory reset. You will need to navigate the menu with your hardware keyboard.

After the reboot you should be able get back to your phone, but it will be a cleaned phone.

OP
N

NatesMom0721

Reaction score
thank you for your help. I wound up having the phone wiped out, but at least its working again!