HELP! Might have bricked my Droid X

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Man I hope you get it working with the Verizon store, I know those guys are far from actual techs but maybe their computer RSD will see your X. Let us know.

Keka_Umans

Reaction score
well i'm definately not a tech guy. but heres my two cents... try using RSD 4.6 Maybe 4.7 has a bug. i also read somewhere about an "eFuse" in the droid X that corrupts the boot loader making re-programming impossible....i hope thats not the problem.

(EDIT: I see you already tried 4.6...with and without the patch)

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the OP says he tried the 4.6 also. and if the efuse had anything to do with it, the bootloader screen would tell you you couldnt program

OP
R

rathzil

Reaction score
Hey all,

An update: Took it to a verizon store, tech guys couldn't figure anything out, offered to give me a new one since I'm under my 30 days. So good news is I won't be totally SOL if I can't fix it.

That said, I have several days left before I'm out of my 30 days, and I really want to see if this problem can be fixed, so I still have my device for now.

I've also tried this on my work desktop (32 bit Vista business) with updated moto drviers and RSD 4.7 (with copied ini, device ID options changed, etc...) and it still doesn't show up in RSD.

While I'm glad that I won't be out 500$, I still REALLY want to solve this puzzle.

BlownSi05

Reaction score
I know you said yo tried it on XP as well, which this should not apply to, but when you install the drivers make sure the you Shift+right-click to run the driver installation tool as an administrator. I had this same issue and finally realized after going through the log on the moto driver install program that Windows was denying the drivers because I was not running the program as an administrator. Once I did this and then rebooted, the pc recognized the phone in RSD 4.7 with no issues.

Keka_Umans

Reaction score
the sdk program seems to have a few bugs or maybe its me...i tried to flash my new boot logo(fail) but, as i noticed after i ran it, it was named wit ()'s and now sdk wont accept(greyed start button) any .sbf file unless i rename it, hower the name doesn't seem to matter just that i rename it...more of an inconvenience than a problem...but just weird

(EDIT: now it just fails.and the rename did matter cuz i couldn't just delete a letter) any ideas?? is there a limit to how many times you can reflash this part of the phone?)

Last edited:
OP
R

rathzil

Reaction score
Well, long story short I gave up. I tried it on a few more machines, hell I even created a linux partition and installed Ubuntu to try and use sbf_flash to fix it, nothing worked.

Fortunately, I was within my 30 days for Verizon so they just warrantied me a new Droid X. I'll keep scanning the web for people with a similar problem or alternative solutions, but at this point my desire to spend several hours a day on it is gone.

Seems like it might be the first genuine brick.

Keka_Umans

Reaction score
yea i solved that awhile ago, the .sbf was bad, seems sbf codec was the bug MotoCache1 has the original i flashed that back, got a new sbf and alls good

sladerholt

Reaction score
Bricked Droid Fixed!!!

Too late now, but maybe this will help someone in the future... I did the exact same thing to my phone night before last. First I rooted in 2.1 with the 1 click. That was so easy that I thought to myself, what the hell and decided to go for the 2.2. leak upgrade... went perfect till reboot, at which point I got an "M"...

I then went for the a complete reverse back to 2.1 with the motorola boot loader... at some point I got the File Corrupt, Battery Low Cannot program and she was DONE! - Complete Brick...

I thought about the low battery msg on screen and it brought me to here on a google search. Bummed out, I kept searching with some different search terms and noticed a Motorola page where someone was experiencing a similar issue with the battery low msg.

Long story short >>> if you are bricked with the low battery message, go get another battery, recharge your in ANOTHER phone because if the firmware is not running on your phone, then your phone will not charge when plugged in to anything..

OR, you can do what I did >>> Cut the small end OFF of a USB cable, CAREFULLY shave off a little coating on the Black (-) and Red (+) wires and wrap them around the end of the - and + post on your battery... Use a piece of tape to hold the wires steady on the top of the battery and CAREFULLY insert it back into your phone so as to keep the wires from moving around and grounding out.

Plug the other end (the regular USB end) into whatever, wall charger, PC, etc... wait for a minute or two and reboot the phone. You can now plug in the other USB tether cable into the phone and PC and proceed to Boot Loader on the phone... should not be any error msg and should also read Battery OK, ???program.

SIDE NOTE... The OTA 2.2 update was released by VZW 4 minutes after I started the ROOT/2.2 upgrades. I was unaware and wasted a whole day unbricking my phone. All ends well though, now running OTA 2.2 dancedroid
but I cant get root now because of some driver issue that seems to be blocking the Debugging/PC Mode to allow 1 click Root to run... it just sits there trying to install a driver that either is not there or is not recognized.

Any Suggestion for Rooting and OTA 2.2 Droid X ??? Despite my crash course in technical language over the past 24 hours, I am no techy.

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Too late now, but maybe this will help someone in the future... I did the exact same thing to my phone night before last. First I rooted in 2.1 with the 1 click. That was so easy that I thought to myself, what the hell and decided to go for the 2.2. leak upgrade... went perfect till reboot, at which point I got an "M"...

I then went for the a complete reverse back to 2.1 with the motorola boot loader... at some point I got the File Corrupt, Battery Low Cannot program and she was DONE! - Complete Brick...

I thought about the low battery msg on screen and it brought me to here on a google search. Bummed out, I kept searching with some different search terms and noticed a Motorola page where someone was experiencing a similar issue with the battery low msg.

Long story short >>> if you are bricked with the low battery message, go get another battery, recharge your in ANOTHER phone because if the firmware is not running on your phone, then your phone will not charge when plugged in to anything..

OR, you can do what I did >>> Cut the small end OFF of a USB cable, CAREFULLY shave off a little coating on the Black (-) and Red (+) wires and wrap them around the end of the - and + post on your battery... Use a piece of tape to hold the wires steady on the top of the battery and CAREFULLY insert it back into your phone so as to keep the wires from moving around and grounding out.

Plug the other end (the regular USB end) into whatever, wall charger, PC, etc... wait for a minute or two and reboot the phone. You can now plug in the other USB tether cable into the phone and PC and proceed to Boot Loader on the phone... should not be any error msg and should also read Battery OK, ???program.

SIDE NOTE... The OTA 2.2 update was released by VZW 4 minutes after I started the ROOT/2.2 upgrades. I was unaware and wasted a whole day unbricking my phone. All ends well though, now running OTA 2.2 dancedroid
but I cant get root now because of some driver issue that seems to be blocking the Debugging/PC Mode to allow 1 click Root to run... it just sits there trying to install a driver that either is not there or is not recognized.

Any Suggestion for Rooting and OTA 2.2 Droid X ??? Despite my crash course in technical language over the past 24 hours, I am no techy.

I read this exact same tip on one of the tech blogs today, was that your article?

bryan475

Reaction score
the battery charge trick does work but what ever you do do not set back to factory defaults if you had trouble flashing rom completely bricked my phone and verizon had to send me a new one. could not even flash fsb