Help me weigh the pro's and con's!

Spectral

Reaction score
HELP with battery issue!

Ok so right now I am running 2.0.1 with GDE home with 7 home screens. With the 7 home screens and the extra widgets I am running my battery down everyday. I have been wondering if I should upgrade to 2.1 and have just have the 5 screens and widgets but not have to have GDE running 24/7 haha.

I know my battery is going to suffer because of my widgets I am running but I have had my battery stay above 50% on a day when I don't really use the phone much and yesterday was one of those days but since I have been running GDE with the widgets after an 9 hour work day it was down to 10% where usually I would be at 50%....40% at the absolute worst.

So I am wondering about doing 2.1 for that reason. I know that 2.1 has some bugs. The GPS thing doesn't bother me because so many people have said theirs works fine. The backlight on the keyboard is a bit of any issue but there is a fix for it.

I am just trying to weigh out what the good things are with 2.0.1 and GDE and also what the bad are. And then comparing that to what I get good and bad out of going to 2.1.

Who wants to help? :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Spectral

Reaction score
Come on!!! I am trying to make a decision tonight!! lol

arty2hottie

Reaction score
first how does the droid have 7 screens i thought it only had 3? Im assuming its one of the apps? My vote would be to wait till it comes out next month. Ya 2.1 has some better stuff but just imagine if something doesnt go right with yours. I would just wait and get the official update. That way you have something to look forward to. Plus they will get all the bugs fixed for the update and there will be no bricking or any other chance of something to go wrong. Think of it as you getting the droid 2 in about a month. LOL:icon_ banana:

OP
S

Spectral

Reaction score
I'm not so much scared to do it. There are tons of details online and a ton of people who are willing to help if you ask them. I'm kind of wondering if it will be worth it. And I am still leaning pretty heavily to updating it tonight. But I am a tad lazy and don't want to backup all of my apps right now lol.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Well if there is a ton of help and its not that difficult then you should do it. You will have all the new stuff and then by the time the official update comes out you can do that if you are having any problems. What about the 2.1 are you stoked about? Is it a lot smoother?

OP
S

Spectral

Reaction score
Well if there is a ton of help and its not that difficult then you should do it. You will have all the new stuff and then by the time the official update comes out you can do that if you are having any problems. What about the 2.1 are you stoked about? Is it a lot smoother?

Smoother, gallery is updated and is amazing, the new app drawer is amazing, 5 screens stock is awesome, the new dock is awesome, animated wallpapers is awesome.

Pretty much, it's awesome. But it has now gotten too late for me to do it tonight! DAMN! haha. I might do it tomorrow morning or tomorrow night now. We shall see.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Sounds sweet. Let me know how it goes and how 2.1 is once you have it on your droid.:motdroidvert:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I said this before and I updated early last time but this time I'm waiting. I've seen horror stories of people bricking their phone this time around. I'll just wait for OTA, I don't even have 2 of my home screens filled up.

OP
S

Spectral

Reaction score
I am trying to do it now and i can't seem to get superuser to show up in my apps drawer so i am getting no where fast lol.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok so right now I am running 2.0.1 with GDE home with 7 home screens. With the 7 home screens and the extra widgets I am running my battery down everyday. I have been wondering if I should upgrade to 2.1 and have just have the 5 screens and widgets but not have to have GDE running 24/7 haha.

I know my battery is going to suffer because of my widgets I am running but I have had my battery stay above 50% on a day when I don't really use the phone much and yesterday was one of those days but since I have been running GDE with the widgets after an 9 hour work day it was down to 10% where usually I would be at 50%....40% at the absolute worst.

So I am wondering about doing 2.1 for that reason. I know that 2.1 has some bugs. The GPS thing doesn't bother me because so many people have said theirs works fine. The backlight on the keyboard is a bit of any issue but there is a fix for it.

I am just trying to weigh out what the good things are with 2.0.1 and GDE and also what the bad are. And then comparing that to what I get good and bad out of going to 2.1.

Who wants to help? :)
if your argument is that you want to move to 2.1 to stop using GDE so that you get the 5 screens in order to improve battery performance, you have your priorities mixed up.

you need to reduce your widget use and/or change their update intervals. 2.1 isn't going to improve your battery life. GDE is just a service.

i would recommend ditching GDE and then attempt to run all of your data-intensive widgets and report back if your battery significantly increased.