Help me understand this Fascinate talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

revision

Reaction score
I'm a SERIOUS noob at all of this..
What does it mean to "flash?"
To flash is to re-write new data over existing data. It's kind of like flashing the BIOS in a computer's motherboard.
What exactly does clockworkmod do?! Why is it so beneficial to download new kernels?! Why would anyone need to "flash a voodoo?" (Basically what the hell is a voodoo)
Clockword becomes an avenue for people who develop roms (think of them as alternative operating systems based off the same android OS but with their personal touches or the removal of certain carrier forced software like bing on the fascinate instead of google maps etc) to get their work into one convenient area. It becomes a secondary way to backup your device as it is and restore at a later point or try out new roms. If you find the phone works for you, stick with what you have, most of the people who get into tinkering with their phones is because they are wanting to achieve something else/more out of their device.
What the heck is an ODIN?
ODIN is a utility that flashes tar file images onto the device to modify it in some way, or also to restore it to factory in some cases. Again i refer to flashing a bios of a motherboard, if you have ever had to flash the bios of your motherboard it is similar in essence.
What are the exact workings of the adb? I used it in a step-by-step guide to rooting my phone, but besides that...that's as far as my knowledge goes on that topic.
It's almost a miracle that I've been able to root my phone, download terminal emulator, titanium backup, OCLF, and busybox installer.
Oh, and quite frankly there has been alot of controversy over TouchWiz...but hell my phone didn't even come with TouchWiz!
Thanks for the help :p
ADB is a command that is included with the android SDK. It basically creates an interface and avenue for people to modify the contents of their phones just like you did. ADB is simply the command that initiates the communication between the two. When you do an adb shell during your rooting process you are basically connecting directly into the phone and working on the phone itself. If you were to boot a linux computer and open terminal you would be looking at a very similar screen. It's like opening a dos box directly on your phone.

Also you have at some point or another had touchwiz on your phone, if you bought your fascinate from verizon brand new then yyou didn't boot that phone up for the first time without using touchwiz. Touchwiz is the interface of the phone that samsung wrote for their android phones.

Those are the basics that i have gotten over time and from spending a lot of time on the IRC channel with the incredibly smart, nice, and overly patient to a fault devs that have worked on this phone since it's launch. I understand you are admitting to being a noob, and while that is commendable the key thing to remember is we all started there, but you really need to do research by searching through the various forums and reading, re-reading, then checking other forums to make sure you are reading the steps and outcomes properly. A lot of people come in every day asking a lot of the same questions which is why people want you to use the search function of the forums. It isn't based off hostility, it is because they have answered the same questions day in and day out since the beginning because people don't search for the answers themselves. I didn't know what adb was a year ago. I had a genuine interest in wanting to see what else my phone could do, so i googled, and searched forums and this forum was my home with my original droid for a year and then my d2 for another month until i switched to the fascinate. My honest advice to you is if you are just looking for a backup, rooting a titanium backup is prime. You can stop there. If you have a bigger interest in learning more about your phone, by all means do, but do it via searching before just posting questions that have possibly been asked a lot of times prior. Again please take no part of my post as hostile, i'm just trying to help paint the picture. :)

lol and since Adrynalyne replied, CTP

mrdroid

Reaction score
All you need to know about Voodoo is DON'T USE IT. Voodoo is ported to the fascinate by "devs" that don't really understand what they are doing and it causes more harm than good.

Sent from my Galaxy S

Its easy to talk big and criticize, its quite another to put your actions where your mouth is. If you can do a better job, lets see it.

By the way, jt1134, the dev who ported voodoo, works with supercurio on this stuff. Supercurio as well, is a regular in #samsung-fascinate irc channel.

I am only posting this because unlike jt1134, I am willing to lower myself to your level and reply.

wtf are you talking about? Talk big and criticize? I'm not a dev nor do I care to be. The fact is though that the Fascinate is a port and other devices where explicitly developed on. The Fascinate is the only device where we are seeing a high percentage of bricks using Voodoo with 0 performance gain.

And what is your problem anyway? You start 50 fights a day on who knows how many different forums... you're probably only a member of so many forums because you constantly get banned for attacking people. The only person at that level is you. You want to be so defensive than show me exactly why the Fascinate is bricking during Voodoo use and the other devices aren't...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One and only warning folks, keep it civil and polite.

I'll be watching.

mrdroid

Reaction score
People throw around the suggestion to use Voodoo way too loosely. It should be strongly advised to NOT use it. There is little to no performance gain with a very high risk.

faxxer

Reaction score
People throw around the suggestion to use Voodoo way too loosely. It should be strongly advised to NOT use it. There is little to no performance gain with a very high risk.

I wouldnt call it very high risk at all. As long as you pay attention to what you are flashing and do not flash a nonvoodoo kernel over a voodoo kernel you will be fine. You are perpetuating old fears from voodoo2 which are no longer founded when it comes to voodoo5.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

I wouldnt call it very high risk at all. As long as you pay attention to what you are flashing and do not flash a nonvoodoo kernel over a voodoo kernel you will be fine. You are perpetuating old fears from voodoo2 which are no longer founded when it comes to voodoo5.
We've totally moved off-topic here. Can we get back on it? If people wish to continue discussing the pros and cons of voodoo, please start a new thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
All you need to know about Voodoo is DON'T USE IT. Voodoo is ported to the fascinate by "devs" that don't really understand what they are doing and it causes more harm than good.

Sent from my Galaxy S

Its easy to talk big and criticize, its quite another to put your actions where your mouth is. If you can do a better job, lets see it.

By the way, jt1134, the dev who ported voodoo, works with supercurio on this stuff. Supercurio as well, is a regular in #samsung-fascinate irc channel.

I am only posting this because unlike jt1134, I am willing to lower myself to your level and reply.

wtf are you talking about? Talk big and criticize? I'm not a dev nor do I care to be. The fact is though that the Fascinate is a port and other devices where explicitly developed on. The Fascinate is the only device where we are seeing a high percentage of bricks using Voodoo with 0 performance gain.

And what is your problem anyway? You start 50 fights a day on who knows how many different forums... you're probably only a member of so many forums because you constantly get banned for attacking people. The only person at that level is you. You want to be so defensive than show me exactly why the Fascinate is bricking during Voodoo use and the other devices aren't...

Just one last comment. Seems to be a pretty big coincidence that you are in Pittsburgh, and so is this guy, all the time having the same signature when posting from your phone.
xda-developers - View Single Post - I think there may be a way to get FROYO/Gingerbread on Fascinate

mrdroid

Reaction score

Just one last comment. Seems to be a pretty big coincidence that you are in Pittsburgh, and so is this guy, all the time having the same signature when posting from your phone.
xda-developers - View Single Post - I think there may be a way to get FROYO/Gingerbread on Fascinate

Not that big of a coincidence considering I work with him and we agree on most of these topics.

blazingwolf

Reaction score
Always love it when someone that has no clue of what they are talking about attacks a dev of good standing. Makes for a good laugh at the expense of the one that is doing the attacking.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This threads gone too far off topic to salvage. Am closing this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.