Help me pick my next phone...

geewiz45

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a current Droid Razr Maxx HD user (rooted) and I'm currently looking for a new phone. However, I'm struggling between the HTC One (M8) and the Galaxy S5. Here's what I need -

-Ability to Root and run FoxFi or equivalent (Must)
-1 day plus of battery life
-Good camera

I'm also a Verizon user with a grandfathered unlimited data plan so I really don't want to move from them. As far as $ is concerned, either phone is affordable to me and I'll probably use it for 2+ years before replacing.

I really like the feel and look of the M8 and I like HTC in general but the reading I've done says the rooting of the Verizon M8 is pretty unreliable. I've never had a Samsung and don't really like the feel and look as much as the M8.

So, for anyone who has read this far, which phone should I get and why?

TIA...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
In terms of hardware feel, the M8 will feel more premium than the s5, just because of materials used.

Camera: I've read that that s5 wins and the M8 camera can be a disappointment. Again, just what I read, no experience.

Battery life: both should last you the whole day, but here is where the s5 really wins in that its battery is removable. So take that for what it's worth to you.

The one major Achille's Heel of Samsung is their radios. To be blunt, they're lousy compared to just about every other manufacturer. I've owned a Galaxy Nexus and current an s4, both have given me weak signals compared to my friends' Verizon devices (non Samsung devices). So again, take that for what it's worth to you as I'm sure you know battery life can drop very fast when the phone struggles to hold a signal.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I agree with Dezy regarding Sammy radios. I had the S3, S4 and 5 and all had radio issues.
The Dev edition is a good choice if priced reasonably.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would also like to add that I have a friend with the M8 on Sprint, and the camera is lacking. He was really upset that his M8 camera wasn't as sharp as my G2. Well, I don't think the S5 camera is as sharp, either, though.

Is the G3 out of your price range?

OP
G

geewiz45

Reaction score
The G3 is out because of battery life. I hear that a day was stretching it for that phone.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The G3 is out because of battery life. I hear that a day was stretching it for that phone.
I haven't heard the G3 has poor battery life. In fact I read it's average among todays flagship devices. I would defiantly consider it.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I haven't heard the G3 has poor battery life. In fact I read it's average among todays flagship devices. I would defiantly consider it.

As Jeffrey mentioned, the battery life isn't terrible. It's just not as good as the G2, which I might add, has optimal battery life. On AOSP ROM's, there are G2's reaching 200+ hours on one charge.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
200 hours of standby is hardly worth mentioning as location to closest cell tower/wifi access point will play a major role. LG is best for root, samsung best for camera and Motorola best for radios and battery.

D

Divergent

You should go for HTC One M8 ;)

Sent from a bunch of fingers using AOSP Keyboard

wcjeep

Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus was a slow phone with bad radios. The S5 can go the distance on battery. It also supports Wireless QI charging. Wife and I have the Samsung QI back. I've noticed the S5 radios are on par with Motorolas I've been around on Verizon. I find the M8 and Iphone 5s too slick with the aluminum.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I've got the g2 and I love it. For being out as long as it has it's still among the faster phones out. Battery life is very impressive as well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk