Help me get off GDE!!

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Lars1, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

I have had GDE running for months now and I really love MOST everything about it, except how it bogs down my Droid.

I think I have tried out all of the home replacements, except Helix, but I don't know how I can live without the application docks (and the cube!)

I know it's a long shot but any ideas out there?

Before you ask, yes I am using Apps Organizer.

TIA
  2. pinesal

pinesal New Member

have you tried dxtop lately? they added a cube transition. its my favour home app until sweeter home 2 gets fixed.
  3. bL33d

bL33d Member

I have gde but I always use a themes Felix2 launcher
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I tried dxtop recently. Its wild cuz u can go side to side and up n down. I get lost quick using it. lol But if u want a cube effect, try dxtop.
  5. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Although I still have GDE (got it last November) I'm currently using Helix Launcher 2. While I did like the cube and the apps dock, I was willing to give them up ( I also use Apps Organizer). Somehow Live Wallpaper on GDE isn't as good looking as on Helix.
  6. gardobus

gardobus New Member

I highly recommend Helix. It doesn't have the flashiness or themes that GDE has but it runs SO smooth. Especially HelixLauncher1. HL2 isn't bad but HL1 is definitely the smoothest Launcher I've ever used. You don't get the fancy transitions (cube, fade, etc) or the application widgets but you get a super fast, super smooth launcher that lets you change the number of screens, turn on/off rotation, display "cards" of all your screens, keep 4 icons on the bottom at all times, etc.

It's a fairly simple launcher but thats why I love it. GDE was always too slow to me.
  7. pinballwizard

pinballwizard New Member

If you could have missed trying out any home theme app helix was definately not the one. I am using helix 2 right now and love how smoothe it runs, also some home apps don't allow live wall paper and helix does so thats definately a bonus.
  8. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

OK, you have convinced me to give Helix a shot.

As I look into it, it appears there are a few different versions. Which should I use for my stock 2.1 Moto Droid?

TIA
  9. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Both will work. Helix 1 does not have the 3D app launcher (that was supposed to be with 2.1) while Helix 2 does. Helix 2 might seem laggy so I'd say give Helix 1 a shot at the beginning.

That being said, you should get a app called Home Switcher. It makes it easy to switch between homes. You can also Launch a home so if you press the Home button it'll go back to your default. Then leave GDE as your default and try both Helix 1 & 2. I you have problems, then just pressing Home will save you. I'm saying this because Helix 2 was only good for the Nexus in the beginning, but if you installed it in the Droid (and set it as default) you'd just have FCs again and again.
  10. gardobus

gardobus New Member

As far as I know, Helix2 works fine now on stock Droids but some people complain of slowness. Coming from GDE though, it may be about the same or probably even faster. However Helix1 is definitely faster than Helix2 in my opinion.