Help me decide on a upgrade?

SlimMan

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have posted in the charge forums asking for some feed back, however I think I will post a poll here in hopes of getting some good feed back.

With my up coming upgrade I am really undecided about what to get, so here are some of the things I want / need in a phone and perhaps you guys can give some user experience and recommendations on some phone.

Things of importance, and not necessarily in this order:
Camera, Video, Speed (both ph. operations and network), Image Quality (screen), Durability, Storage Space, Battery Life, Weight (needs to be lite). Suppose those are the main things, being able to Root / Customize it would be an added benefit.

DroidXDoes4G: "It depends. Would you rather a 4GLTE phone with a 4.3 inch screen? Or a 3G phone with a great keyboard and a 4inch screen?"

DroidXDoes4G - Very good ponit, and the larger screen with the 4G would prob. serve me better.

If the phone you would recommend isn't in the poll please feel free to just post it, Thanks in advance for your input.

Slim!

Last edited:

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Every phone on your list is good. Your really can't go wrong.
I think the phone most worthy of your upgrade would be the Nexus Prime or Droid Bionic, but the Droid 3 and X2 are also very good.

It depends. Would you rather a 4GLTE phone with a 4.3 inch screen? Or a 3G phone with a great keyboard and a 4inch screen?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Phones are very subjective, which is why there are so many options out for us.

First I'd like to ask whether you checked out the phones for yourself via store, friend, etc? Reading/watching reviews online does help, but it's the hands-on time that can be the dealbreaker for me at least. After all, you're going to be using the phone, not watching others use it :p

Judging by what you've given in terms of wants, seems you may want a 4g phone, to me at least. You don't need a keyboard judging by your needs, so you can eliminate the droid 3 as the keyboard provides unnecessary bulk/weight. I can't judge the Bionic as I never had any hands on time with it, but it seems like it will be good, so I'd play the waiting game since it is out next week i believe.

Leaves you with the X2, Inc 2, and Charge. Out of these 3 I would choose between the Charge or the Inc 2. As an Inc owner, the Inc 2 is everything my Inc is, but much improved. I really like my Inc which is why I've held onto it so long and none of the phones out, save for Bionic, really interest me. I was mulling the idea of getting the Charge recently.

Again, judging by your needs the Charge seems to fit your needs. It's fast (both phone and I hear gets the fastest 4g speeds), has a very nice screen, I hear it gets great battery life and is the lightest out of all the choices I believe. It's a great phone and I am near the breaking point of upgrading to it as it seems to be the best device out right now imo. Minus TouchWiz, which I will replace with LP+ if I do get it, it's everything I want in a phone as well. I don't mind playing the waiting game, but eventually I'll wait so long I'll never upgrade.

Remember, there's always a better phone "around the corner" and if you keep comparing current with future phones, you'll never truly enjoy your phone. My Inc is considered old and outdated, but it more than fills my needs of everyday use. Alot of people, including myself, have said "wait and see with details of the (phone) comes out in a couple weeks", but look how long it took for the Bionic to get a final release date. Yes technology moves at a rapid pace, but can't we enjoy what we have now and what phones we currently own? just my .02...

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Vigor or Prime. I will never buy another Moto product as long as they continue to lock the bootloader. That and I won't buy a phone with hard keys at the bottom. Moto makes em so cheap that mine are about to fall out.

random rom'd X

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why would you want a 3g phone?

Considering there are only two 4g phones available on Verizon (Charge and TB, to my knowledge), there really isn't much of a choice available. As for 3g devices, there is a pretty nice selection and they are great phones as well. 4g may be the new technology, but it may not necessarily be better, at least for now...:)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering there are only two 4g phones available on Verizon (Charge and TB, to my knowledge), there really isn't much of a choice available. As for 3g devices, there is a pretty nice selection and they are great phones as well. 4g may be the new technology, but it may not necessarily be better, at least for now...:)

LG Revolution is also. Damn good phone.

And going 3G over 4G is like choosing dialup over DSL.

random rom'd X

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
LG Revolution is also. Damn good phone.

And going 3G over 4G is like choosing dialup over DSL.

random rom'd X

Oh yeah forgot about LG and its fairly recent release.

I personally wouldn't get it due to prior experiences with the company, but it does seem like a pretty good phone.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
None of those. Wait for the the Vigor or Prime.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. More options and choices
2. Cheaper
3. Better battery life
4. Uses less data per minute when streaming videos and music

I'll give you the first 2 and they're cheaper because its old tech. As for using more battery, its mainly if you don't get good 4G signal. If you hate it that much, you can always disable 4G and run on 3G. As for it using more data, speed has nothing to do with being a data hog. It just means you have the possibility to use more data because you don't have to wait for it to buffer. Using more data is up to the individual.

random rom'd X