HELP ME DECIDE (Moto Droid vs. HTC Incred)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Back on topic. If you happen to enjoy playing games on your phone, the physical keyboard is a must. I really enjoy all the emulators out there, but they are next to unplayable with touch screen controls (which would be your only option on the Incredible). Engadget just did a review on this neat little grip that makes playing games much more enjoyable. Here's a link.

Home (game-gripper)

If the physical keyboard doesn't mean much to you, I think the Incredible seems like an obvious choice with it's impressive hardware. I love my Droid, but it is almost six months old now. Six months is an eternity in smartphone time.

Here is a link to Engadet's review of the game gripper:

Game Gripper review -- Engadget

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Back on topic. If you happen to enjoy playing games on your phone, the physical keyboard is a must. I really enjoy all the emulators out there, but they are next to unplayable with touch screen controls (which would be your only option on the Incredible). Engadget just did a review on this neat little grip that makes playing games much more enjoyable. Here's a link.

Home (game-gripper)

If the physical keyboard doesn't mean much to you, I think the Incredible seems like an obvious choice with it's impressive hardware. I love my Droid, but it is almost six months old now. Six months is an eternity in smartphone time.

Here is a link to Engadet's review of the game gripper:

Game Gripper review -- Engadget

LOL.....thats cool. :)

junpar

Reaction score
From previous post by HolyGrail: Sony's world's first 16.7 million color flexible OLED -- Engadget

I'm sorry, I didn't know about the sony OLED screen. The screens on the N1 and Incredible reportadely only produce 16 bit color though. Some reviews say the Incredible's screen is slightly better though. I would seriously advise to just wait and try the incredible and droid before buying either.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From previous post by HolyGrail: Sony's world's first 16.7 million color flexible OLED -- Engadget

I'm sorry, I didn't know about the sony OLED screen. The screens on the N1 and Incredible reportadely only produce 16 bit color though.

They produce more. I believe this myth started from Google limiting the phones to 16 bit color on their firmware. I could be wrong tho.

Here's a good read on it.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-21-now-blamed-some-nexus-one-and-now-droid-screen-issues

newandroiduser

Reaction score
I am still in the 30 day return period also and bought the droid from costco so I can return and avoid the $35 restock fee, and can then make use of my new every 2 by buying the Inc from Verizon and end up paying the same amount as I did for the droid.

However after endless reading reviews I am becoming more and more confused. I love the Droids construction and how it feels like a high end device. I also found myself liking the physical keyboard, especially for chatting programs like skype and gtalk. I can type while having the full screen to display the chat and no virtual keyboard taking up precious screen real estate.

Battery life is important to me, and a very unique aspect about the droid is the actual physical battery. It is a square shaped battery, and its the perfect size to keep a spare one in a wallet. The Incredible uses a long, thinner rectangular battery that I couldnt easily fit in a wallet.

Apart from these faults the droid incredible trumps the droid in every other way. The oncreen keyboard has been greatly improved from the N1 and moto with the new sensors. The processor is faster than an OCed droid, along with alot more ram. Sense UI is pretty. So essentially its a fight between build vs brains. I hate the fact of ditching sturdy metal build for cheap budget feeling plastic.
I think of the Incredible as having a Wolfs muscle in a Sheeps clothing.

Anybody have any info that may help me make the decision?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am still in the 30 day return period also and bought the droid from costco so I can return and avoid the $35 restock fee, and can then make use of my new every 2 by buying the Inc from Verizon and end up paying the same amount as I did for the droid.

However after endless reading reviews I am becoming more and more confused. I love the Droids construction and how it feels like a high end device. I also found myself liking the physical keyboard, especially for chatting programs like skype and gtalk. I can type while having the full screen to display the chat and no virtual keyboard taking up precious screen real estate.

Battery life is important to me, and a very unique aspect about the droid is the actual physical battery. It is a square shaped battery, and its the perfect size to keep a spare one in a wallet. The Incredible uses a long, thinner rectangular battery that I couldnt easily fit in a wallet.

Apart from these faults the droid incredible trumps the droid in every other way. The oncreen keyboard has been greatly improved from the N1 and moto with the new sensors. The processor is faster than an OCed droid, along with alot more ram. Sense UI is pretty. So essentially its a fight between build vs brains.

How do you figure that? I'm OCed to 1.3 ghz... Not that the actual cpu speed matters as we are comparing two completely different processors. A 1ghz Snapdragon processor probably doesn't equal a 1ghz ARM A8 Cortex processor.

iPirate

Reaction score
Any info on these "new sensors"?

The incredible and N1 have higher clock speed but clock speed isn't the most important characteristic of a CPU. Do you think Motorola picked a CPU for their phone that would be "beat" in less than 3 months? The difference between the N1 and the Droid are hardly noticeable so far. The additional ram might help but I don't see it helping enough to make the incredible an obvious choice.

newandroiduser

Reaction score

The incredible and N1 have higher clock speed but clock speed isn't the most important characteristic of a CPU. Do you think Motorola picked a CPU for their phone that would be "beat" in less than 3 months? The difference between the N1 and the Droid are hardly noticeable so far. The additional ram might help but I don't see it helping enough to make the incredible an obvious choice.

I found a quote on google from some other user about the multitouch - "HTC is now using the Atmel mxt224 screen vs. the old Synaptics 2000. The Atmel is a known component of the upcoming HTC EVO 4G - I just didn't think they'd implement it this soon. Looks like they have. It's not merely a software enhancement on the Incredible over the N1; they are indeed using a new screen type. Very nice."

Here is one that mentions the Moto Droid : Multi-Touch Evolved in the Droid Incredible and EVO 4G Thanks to maxTouch | 5 Star Android

Here is a video demonstration clearly showing it in action - HTC Droid Incredible Multitouch Already Being Touted Better than the Nexus One - DeviceMAG

iPirate

Reaction score

I found a quote on google from some other user about the multitouch - "HTC is now using the Atmel mxt224 screen vs. the old Synaptics 2000. The Atmel is a known component of the upcoming HTC EVO 4G - I just didn't think they'd implement it this soon. Looks like they have. It's not merely a software enhancement on the Incredible over the N1; they are indeed using a new screen type. Very nice."

Here is one that mentions the Moto Droid : Multi-Touch Evolved in the Droid Incredible and EVO 4G Thanks to maxTouch | 5 Star Android

Here is a video demonstration clearly showing it in action - HTC Droid Incredible Multitouch Already Being Touted Better than the Nexus One - DeviceMAG
Ok. So these are the sensors not the OLED screen. Droid doesn't have any problems with it's sensors... :confused:

junpar

Reaction score

I'm sorry, I didn't know about the sony OLED screen. The screens on the N1 and Incredible reportadely only produce 16 bit color though.

They produce more. I believe this myth started from Google limiting the phones to 16 bit color on their firmware. I could be wrong tho.

Android 2.1 now blamed for some of Nexus One (and now Droid) screen 'issues' | Android Central

I'm not so sure about that the firmware is 100% the problem. For example, the stock android browser on both the Droid and the N1 is the same, yet the browser on the N1 cannot show 24 bit color and shows 16 bit color. The Droid, once it received its update, cannot show 24 bit color in its gallery anymore, it shows 16 bit. However, the browser still shows 24 bit color.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Android 2.1 now blamed for some of Nexus One (and now Droid) screen 'issues' | Android Central

I'm not so sure about that the firmware is 100% the problem. For example, the stock android browser on both the Droid and the N1 is the same, yet the browser on the N1 cannot show 24 bit color and shows 16 bit color. The Droid, once it received its update, cannot show 24 bit color in its gallery anymore, it shows 16 bit. However, the browser still shows 24 bit color.

No. The N1's browser is still 24 bit color. The only thing that was dumbed down was the gallery (this was confirmed by Google by the way). It has nothing to do with what the screens are capable of.

Android 2.1 at Fault for Nexus One Screen Issues? Droid Owners Beware! AndroidBoss

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Apart from these faults the droid incredible trumps the droid in every other way. The oncreen keyboard has been greatly improved from the N1 and moto with the new sensors. The processor is faster than an OCed droid, along with alot more ram. Sense UI is pretty. So essentially its a fight between build vs brains.

How do you figure that? I'm OCed to 1.3 ghz... Not that the actual cpu speed matters as we are comparing two completely different processors. A 1ghz Snapdragon processor probably doesn't equal a 1ghz ARM A8 Cortex processor.

My overclocked Droid doesn't hold a candle to my friends N1 and his is at standard speed. Beside that the Droid Incredible runs a newer version of the snapdragon then what is on the Nexus One.

No, the difference between them are noticeable. The measurement of clock speed (MHz) is not a true measurement of the speed of a processor. If you want to measure the speed you measure it by Clock Cycles (Snapdragon has more clock cycles). MHz is really nothing but just a way to sell chips. Kinda like the misconception of a camera's Mega Pixels. Mega Pixels don't mean squat. A true measurement is the size of the lens and how much light it lets in. That's why some lower MP camera's take better pictures then higher MP ones. The lenses is better.

iPirate

Reaction score

My overclocked Droid doesn't hold a candle to my friends N1 and his is at standard speed. Beside that the Droid Incredible runs a newer version of the snapdragon then what is on the Nexus One.

No, the difference between them are noticeable. The measurement of clock speed (MHz) is not a true measurement of the speed of a processor. If you want to measure the speed you measure it by Clock Cycles (Snapdragon has more clock cycles). MHz is really nothing but just a way to sell chips. Kinda like the misconception of a camera's Mega Pixels. Mega Pixels don't mean squat. A true measurement is the size of the lens and how much light it lets in. That's why some lower MP camera's take better pictures then higher MP ones. The lenses is better.
Instructions per clock cycle? Because clock cycle per second = hz.

Lens isnt the only thing that is important, the size of the sensor is important for cameras. That is why at 5MP DSLR looks a lot better than a 5MP point and shoot or cell phone camera.

junpar

Reaction score

No. The N1's browser is still 24 bit color. The only thing that was dumbed down was the gallery (this was confirmed by Google by the way). It has nothing to do with what the screens are capable of.

Android 2.1 at Fault for Nexus One Screen Issues? Droid Owners Beware! AndroidBoss

really? multiple people report that the browser is also 16 bit color.