Help, Lost stock messaging app

Droidfish

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm rooted with bugless beast v0.9

I can't find my stock messaging app on my droid. When I go to manage applications it lists com.android.mms as 0.00 kb.I took the Mms.apk from the virginoem-backup I have and pushed it to /system/app/ then tried to push it to /data/app/ but nothing works. I'm not even sure if this is the right apk, I'm just trying anything I can think of.

I've been using handcent so long that I don't know how long it's been missing.

Any ideas?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
oh boy. Well if you are using Handcent (like me) then you dont really need it correct? Could I delete that app and Handcent would work fine?

OP
Droidfish

Droidfish

Reaction score
Yea you could essentially get rid of it although I wouldn't recommend it (surprised?) because handcent has been giving me issues as far as it not receiving mms messages. I wanted to get rid of handcent to see if it was causing my mms problems and when I did I realized that I now had no way to recieve/send any messages.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can adb push the stock Mms.apk to /system/app and and probably chmod 644 it and you will have it back....

Dxun

Reaction score
How bout a quick how to on this for us noobs. I lost both my stock and handcent messaging :( Need some major help here.

OP
Droidfish

Droidfish

Reaction score
OP
Droidfish

Droidfish

Reaction score
Ok start by downloading the mms.apk that natediddy posted above(thank him) and putting it on the root of your sd card. Go into root explorer and move the apk from the sdcard to /system/app/(make surethis folder is mounted r/w root explorer can do this for you. once the apk is moved go into terminal emulator and enter this:

su
chmod 644 /system/app

OP
Droidfish

Droidfish

Reaction score
Sorry let's try that again

from terminal emulator:

su
chmod 644 /system/app/Mms.apk
sync
reboot

Enter these commands exactly as I typed them hitting enter at the end of each line

OP
Droidfish

Droidfish

Reaction score
From there your phone will reboot and you should have the stock messaging app restored. Sorry if anything is unclear I'm doing this from my phone(hence the premature post earlier).