HELP! I tried to root...

uscjoel

Reaction score
I d/loaded the update.zip file and apparently didnt save it to sd card...when I went through the steps to root everything went well I got to the menu and instead of having the option to "run" update.zip it gave me the option to "apply" update.zip.

I rebooted my phone and everything came back to normal...except now I have a little triangle flashing in my notification bar...what the heck is it? ...and how do I get rid of it?

OP
uscjoel

uscjoel

Reaction score
Ok...so the little triangle is gone now...What happend? Did I root?

kennyg23

Reaction score
look through your list of apps. If you have one that says superuser permissions, then you are rooted. If not, you probably just reupdated with the 2.0.1 update that motorola came out with that was uploaded onto your phone's memory card already. You need to replace that file with the root one on the memory card before you can do anything.

OP
uscjoel

uscjoel

Reaction score
ok...I dont have superuser permissions...

Im using Astro how do I move the update.zip to my sd card?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go to rootyourdroid.com. they make it so simple, I rooted in 5 mins y half sleep

OP
uscjoel

uscjoel

Reaction score
Will I still be able to get OTA updates?

OP
uscjoel

uscjoel

Reaction score
Thanks!

So what are some MUST have root only apps?

kennyg23

Reaction score
From what I know (i didnt stay rooted long since I don't understand linux lingo)

Busybox is a must have and alot of people say to get the Android SDK (Software Development Kit).

One cool app that you can only get with rooting is wifi tethering. Pretty much you can tether to anything that receives a wifi connection for free (using your unlimited data)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I thought promoting the exploit of taking paid apps for free wasn't supposed to be discussed on these forums?

pcandroid

Reaction score
I thought promoting the exploit of taking paid apps for free wasn't supposed to be discussed on these forums?

That would be true and personally i prefer to pay for quality apps to support quality developers. Its the only way to get more quality apps.