HELP!!!! I rooted my droid and now it wont start!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TUNNELRAT, Jan 12, 2011.

1. TUNNELRAT

TUNNELRAT New Member

So last night I rooted my moto droid without an issue. Then This morning I downloaded ROM manager and downloaded a cynogen (i think that was the name) rom and everything went smooth until it had to reboot. It got stuck in a boot loop. Help me please :)

UPDATE: I took out the memory card, re-inserted and now it is turning on again, still in boot loop though. I really dont want a factory reset/lose all my data. I will try what you guys said now.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Did you do a backup prior to trying to install this ROM? If so, while in ClockworkMod recovery, scroll down to nandroid, then select restore and from there you'll see a list of your backups.

If you didn't backup first - you just learned a valuable lesson as to why you always should :tongue: Seriously though ... if you have no backup what I would recommend is downloading another ROM on you PC. Then go back to your phone (that is still in Recovery) and select "wipe data/factory reset". Scroll down to YES. After that go back and select "partitions menu" and scroll down to "mount USB storage" and select it. Now you phone should be connected to you PC. Transfer that new ROM to your SD card. Now, back on your phone select unmount. Go back to the main menu and select "install zip from sdcard" and then "choose zip from sdcard". Navigate to where you just transfered the new file and select it. The new ROM should install and after it's done reboot and you should be back on track.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter New Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    When you hit the power button can you see a sort of backlight come on in the screen? If yes, the phone is powering on. Pull the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. Replace the battery and try turning the phone on and hold down the x button to boot into recovery. If you are able to boot up, go to your backup (you did do a back-up right?) and select it to reboot your phone into your pre-ROM form. Bootlooping is more frustrating than it is damaging to your phone. Chances are the download got corrupted which happens a lot. It doesn't mean the specific file is damaged, just the data transfer. I have bootlooped a couple of times myself downloading certain ROMS and kernels, and it is frustrating. As a rule I keep my phone plugged into a charger before I start any flashing of ROMS or kernels. That way I know for sure the phone won't sleep or die in the middle of a download. If you aren't able to do the above, you can post your problems in the rescue squad area. Those guys have mad skills and will have you up and running soon. Just have patience. Good luck!
  4. TUNNELRAT

TUNNELRAT New Member

I have they backup :icon_ banana: so now I just choose that and it will restore my phone back to the way it was?
  5. YankInDaSouth

Just an FYI, it's probably best not to update the original post - just post another comment. Reason is when you post new, those of us that posted will get an email notification. So we can keep up and try to continue to help. If you update the OP, we have no idea you did it ...
  6. YankInDaSouth

Yup, yup ... just choose your latest and greatest back up and restore. It'll be just like it was when you made that backup.
  7. TUNNELRAT

TUNNELRAT New Member

Thank you soooooo much I was afraid I bricked my phone when it wouldn't turn on lol.
  8. YankInDaSouth

No problem ... and it's VERY hard to brick your phone. Not impossible of course, but you'd have to try and brick it IMO :D
  9. lucasandrieti

lucasandrieti New Member

I'm now having the same problem with the boot loop. I DID backup. But when I got to restore, it's not there. So now my phone is just worthless. It will boot into recovery mode just fine (ClockworkMod) and I've even tried factory reset.

Still will not boot. And I do NOT have money to buy another one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  10. YankInDaSouth

Calm down, no need to buy a new phone ...

If you can get to recovery you're OK. Just get to a PC and d/l a ROM, then connect your phone to the PC while in recovery - now it's been a while since I used CW, but I think you can mount the SD card under the partition section. Transfer the ROM to you SD card, unmount the SD card after transfer and then install the ROM then boot back up ... should be good to go.
  11. lucasandrieti

lucasandrieti New Member

I just tried that. When I hit reboot, it just turns off. I've been messing with it so much that the battery is low. I know this because i checked the bootloader because i was curious how much life i had left. and obviously it wont charge without it booted up.

Could my battery just be too low to function? is what i thought. Then I remembered you can use the phone without the battery if its plugged in. But it still wouldn't boot.
  12. YankInDaSouth

Not 100% sure but I think you need some what of a battery charge to boot up ... and the only recovery that allows you to charge is RZR.
    Not sure what you could do other than get a second battery with a separate charger.
  13. lucasandrieti

lucasandrieti New Member

So it's not the battery. Tried another one.
  14. YankInDaSouth

15. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You may not want to do it, but to fix this you will need to do either a factory data reset or from your recovery menu do a wipe.

It's not that big of a deal, you just have to sign back into everything again.
Search tags for this page
i rooted my phone and now it wont start up

i rooted my phone and now it wont turn on

i rooted my phone now it wont turn one droid maxx
i tried to root my phone now it won't turn on
my android phone is rooted and wont boot
my phone just turns on an off after rooting
phone wont come back on after root
phone wont start up after root
rooted android, wont boot
rooted motorola droid 4 wont reboot
rooted phone won't start