Help! I dropped my Droid.

cptnjack

Reaction score
I dropped my Droid getting out of my car and now it will not turn on. I've tried to take out and reinsert the battery but nothing. I have insurance but I had just rooted my phone and I was wondering if this will make a difference to Verizon assuming they can get it to work. If so is there anyway to unroot with out powering up? Maybe deleting files from the memory card? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Just remove the memory card before you take the phone back, then they wont know the difference.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just remove the memory card before you take the phone back, then they wont know the difference.

This is not true. He flashed his recovery.

If this is true...take it back and hope that they wont be able to get it to power up. If they can, and see it's rooted....your next cell phone bill may be about $500 higher than you think it should be.

Reaction score

This is not true. He flashed his recovery.

If this is true...take it back and hope that they wont be able to get it to power up. If they can, and see it's rooted....your next cell phone bill may be about $500 higher than you think it should be.

Well if this is true, you might want to make sure you finish off the phone. I heard putting it in a microwave for a few seconds works well. :icon_ banana:

Guchi

Reaction score
man up pay the insurance. you rooted it you dropped it. why should verizon pay for it. and the chance of paying retail for the replacement should make it a no brainer

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
man up pay the insurance. you rooted it you dropped it. why should verizon pay for it. and the chance of paying retail for the replacement should make it a no brainer

Problem is even if he uses insurance and they find it's been rooted they consider that voiding all warranties.

Run it over or something man! But....record video for all of us!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Problem is even if he uses insurance and they find it's been rooted they consider that voiding all warranties.

Run it over or something man! But....record video for all of us!

VERIZON WIRELESS DOES NOT HANDLE INSURANCE CLAIMS!

that being said Asurion does Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center no where in there does it say "rooting" your phone is against policy.
this is pulled directly off their website:
Wireless Phone Insurance

Complete peace of mind for the entire family!

• It can happen to you: 60 million phones are lost, stolen or damaged each year
  • Without insurance, the average cost of replacing your phone is $300!
  • Our coverage protects you from phone loss, theft and damage (even water damage)
  • We offer fast, easy replacement with overnight shipping to any address you choose
  • International replacement options available

Act fast! In most cases, you can only add insurance within 15 to 30 days of activation or upgrade!

ProtocolDroid

Reaction score
Gucci, get off insurance companies wang....like they aren't making a killing of all us suckers every day. He didn't do anything wrong just dropped his phone. The rooting isnt what broke it gravity is. Why should rooting even be a bad thing. They say the droid is so we can have the freedom to do what we want with OUR own phone...he did. Why punish him for that. You sound like at&t and the iphone...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gucci, get off insurance companies wang....like they aren't making a killing of all us suckers every day. He didn't do anything wrong just dropped his phone. The rooting isnt what broke it gravity is. Why should rooting even be a bad thing. They say the droid is so we can have the freedom to do what we want with OUR own phone...he did. Why punish him for that. You sound like at&t and the iphone...

Forgive me while I pick apart this post.

I'll agree with you that rooting didnt kill his phone, so it really shouldnt relate to THIS warranty claim, but rooting allows you to do things to your phone that can kill it, so it should be included in warranty violations.

What really gets me is you claim he should be able to do what he wants with HIS phone, which I agree with. But, there's another side to that coin. If it's HIS phone, then it's HIS responsibility that it doesnt work anymore. Gravity only works when you let go of the phone (either by accident or on purpose). No one here is saying that he cant do what he wants with HIS phone, but it's also HIS problem when it stops working.

If you're truly happy that Verizon will not honor the warranty on a rooted phone, I suggest you either 1) dont root, 2) deal with the consequences when you root 3) find a charity that operates cell towers across America.

Also, you have no idea what the profit margin is for the insurance companies. If they gave away phones, they'd be out of business. That's that.

Rant over.

ProtocolDroid

Reaction score
well seeing how i, we all pay seperate for cell towers. that isn't even included in your plan or what you pay for insurance. and Im not trying to make a huge stink about rooting I agree that there should be some discretion as to what the Warranty covers, but Im saying they make a fortune of all of us. So why some regular joe off the street is defending their profits i find obnoxious. I agree that rooting should not be covered under warranty but under insurance is a grey line. I mean yeah rooting can jack your phone, but so can playing catch with it or keeping it in your back pocket every time you sit down.

3rdphotorecon

Reaction score
Hey I want like to say that I just had this same problem as the OP this morning.... Now yesterday was St. Patrick's day and I was out. I have no recollection of dropping my phone at all. None the less this morning my phone would just not turn on. I am also rooted and after coming to the conclusion that the phone was not working at all I broke down and took it to the Verizon store. After about 2 minutes of the tech looking at it he told me he had no idea and that he was having a new one sent to me as they had none in the store at the time. He confirmed my address and that was that. No mention of insurance or any type of payment. He also didn't mention that I had to give the old one back so I will be interested to see what happens. If anyone figures out what causes this or a possible fix please let me know since I could have a second droid! :)

thechom80

Reaction score
Hey I want like to say that I just had this same problem as the OP this morning.... Now yesterday was St. Patrick's day and I was out. I have no recollection of dropping my phone at all. None the less this morning my phone would just not turn on. I am also rooted and after coming to the conclusion that the phone was not working at all I broke down and took it to the Verizon store. After about 2 minutes of the tech looking at it he told me he had no idea and that he was having a new one sent to me as they had none in the store at the time. He confirmed my address and that was that. No mention of insurance or any type of payment. He also didn't mention that I had to give the old one back so I will be interested to see what happens. If anyone figures out what causes this or a possible fix please let me know since I could have a second droid! :)

Similar thing happened to me, only I didn't get to keep my original DROID. I dropped mine and the screen no longer worked. Powered on, but didn't display. I brought it in and the tech lady just went in back and grabbed me a new phone, no questions asked. She swapped them and told me to be careful. No insurance co-payment or nothing. It made me wonder if there have been issues with the phones that they were just going ahead and going around insurance claims and just replacing them at no charge. I'm not complaining, but it made me think...

alanbk

Reaction score

Similar thing happened to me, only I didn't get to keep my original DROID. I dropped mine and the screen no longer worked. Powered on, but didn't display. I brought it in and the tech lady just went in back and grabbed me a new phone, no questions asked. She swapped them and told me to be careful. No insurance co-payment or nothing. It made me wonder if there have been issues with the phones that they were just going ahead and going around insurance claims and just replacing them at no charge. I'm not complaining, but it made me think...

If you drop and break your phone, and there is no physical evidence that it was dropped/wet, VZW normally will replace it as defective.

wildrage

Reaction score
I think this insurance debate is all about intent, which no one can really prove.

Its stupid to say that insurance shouldn't cover a rooted/bricked phone, since it covers loss, damage, or theft.

If I leave my phone at a Starbucks and come back 8 hours later looking for it and it's not there, then it's covered by insurance, but if I try to load a modification on it, it isnt?

Isn't that what insurance is for? If it was a defect that wasn't your fault, wouldn't it be covered under the manufacturers warranty anyway? I mean why would you use insurance? If you're phone was dropped, you were being careless. If you're phone was lost, you were being careless. If your phone was stolen, you should have been better at protecting in it, if it shorted out by being in the rain, you were being irresponsible. Short of someone robbing you at gunpoint, or breaking into your car/home, all of these things seem to be like negligance on the owner's part. Why wouldn't rooting the phone be put into the same category?

I agree 100% that a rooted phone shouldn't be covered under the manufacturer's warranty...even if its a hardware issue. Overclocking *could* create more heat and fry something (dont' think you could prove it, but also don't think you could prove against it). Some crappy software mod that sends the radio or the processor in a loop could be a bad thing....I get that too.

The deductable is $100 and the monthly fee is what? Like $6? I'm not sure if Verizon skims anything off the top. How much do you think a reconditioned phone costs them? I'd bet it's not more than $150-$200...for all I know, it could be under $100.

If rooting your phone voids the insurance, there's an easy solution. Take said phone, throw up against brick wall, and file insurance claim....sounds real logical.

Kendroid1

Reaction score
ok...ok, let's get to the root of this. What's rooting? :icon_ banana: