*HELP* How to unroot... without a screen! :(

frankjaegar

Reaction score
*HELP* How to unroot... without a screen! :( (Solved!)

EDIT: Thanks to the powers of Johnly, SOLVED!

Long Story Short: Droid with broken LCD, nothing visible, need to unroot or I owe the red devil lots of money, WTB help!!!

Long Story:
Listen ye all to my tale of woe!
I once, like (some) of you was the proud owner of a Motorola Droid. Then, one day, I noticed something terrible happening to my phone... scratches. I decided the only way to defeat this terrible foe was by purchasing a case. However, this $20 piece of garbage got so much loose junk caught up in it that it scratched up my Droid worse than when I didn't have a case!
So, me being me, I took the case off and decided that was that. Soon after however, events occurred which will not be elaborated upon, and my Droid no longer has an operating screen. Still a touch sensitive screen (e.g. I can press the power button and slide finger across, and I get the faint vibrate of an unlock), however nothing is visible-- it is completely blank.
Now, I pay $5/month for a handy-dandy insurance plan from VZW, and I have a new Droid en route, arriving some time tomorrow morning (which could not come soon enough, because I'm stuck with a WinMo 6.1 phone from early 2008 in the interim). And I don't have to pay for said Droid, as long as I send my brokedy one back within 10 business days.

However, there's a problem.
Unless I'm mistaken, having a rooted phone voids your warranty.
My phone is very, very rooted. Like CyanogenMod 6 RC2 with a custom theme, and WiFi-Tether is on my main home screen.
So if them peoples over at the VZW insurance place figure that out, I have a potentially terminated contract (eh), or worse, the $499.99+ for a brand new Droid off warranty.
I do not have $500. I will not have $500 for a long time. I'm a college student who's summer job just ended. A $500 charge on my bank account would be bad.

So, is it possible?! Are there some fancy ADB tricks I can pull? Some way to force an external display?!

Help me DroidForums Rescue Squad, you're my only hope!

Also, if the solution to my problem is somewhere else on the forum and I failed hard, I apologize sincerely. I really did look.

Last edited:

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
if the screen doesnt work then they cant accually prove its rooted other than adb shelling your system in that case you may want to remove your root. i dont really know how much they really go into checking whether your rooted or not.

J

Johnly

Just act like the screen is good, send the commands as if it were....then take it in. what else you going to do?

OP
F

frankjaegar

Reaction score
Just act like the screen is good, send the commands as if it were....then take it in. what else you going to do?

That's the thing, maybe I just have terrible hand-eye-coordination, but I can't seem to guess accurately where things are on the Droid screen at all.
However, that support link in your signature may be my godsend... if I'm understanding this correctly, I need to install RSD Lite, download the stock 2.01 .sbf file, reboot the Droid while holding DPAD^ (which I think I can do blind no problem) then push the file using RSD Lite? If so, then I'm golden and thank you sir/madam!!!
True/False?

droidman101

Reaction score
They can't tell at all, because the only way to is adb, and unless you had android debugging on(its off by default) its impossible to tell your rooted without fixing the screen :)

J

Johnly

That's the thing, maybe I just have terrible hand-eye-coordination, but I can't seem to guess accurately where things are on the Droid screen at all.
However, that support link in your signature may be my godsend... if I'm understanding this correctly, I need to install RSD Lite, download the stock 2.01 .sbf file, reboot the Droid while holding DPAD^ (which I think I can do blind no problem) then push the file using RSD Lite? If so, then I'm golden and thank you sir/madam!!!
True/False?
It is sir, and that link is true! Ninja, you can do that, and be good! Plus, like the guy before me that posted, if the screen is down they wont look to deep;)

droidman101

Reaction score
Your insurance is through assurion, if they prove its your fault assurion will get you a new droid 1...for $90 deductible :(

OP
F

frankjaegar

Reaction score
It is sir, and that link is true! Ninja, you can do that, and be good! Plus, like the guy before me that posted, if the screen is down they wont look to deep;)

Haha! You are an amazing person Johnly, I knew I'd find answers here. I'm restoring that puppy first thing in the morning, popping it in that FedEx box, picking up my new Droid and promptly rooting the bajebas out of it and installing a new form fitting hard case supplied by Verizon due to my previous complaints.
Victory!!!

Now, to decide what ROM to install... hmmm...

J

Johnly

Haha! You are an amazing person Johnly, I knew I'd find answers here. I'm restoring that puppy first thing in the morning, popping it in that FedEx box, picking up my new Droid and promptly rooting the bajebas out of it and installing a new form fitting hard case supplied by Verizon due to my previous complaints.
Victory!!!

Now, to decide what ROM to install... hmmm...
cheers bro! Victory! Woodyman has some clean ROM's

OP
F

frankjaegar

Reaction score
@droidman101: sadly, I do have debugging automatically turned on. I should really not do that. I was just too lazy to turn it off. Thanks for the info though! $90 is much better than $499.99+... however I'm gonna push for no dollars :p

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How did this go? I'm in the same situation and time is ticking.

Even with a broken screen, if the rest of the phone works, just do option 1, then 4 in link #3 of my sig, you'll be unrooted and stock.:)

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
How did this go? I'm in the same situation and time is ticking.

Even with a broken screen, if the rest of the phone works, just do option 1, then 4 in link #3 of my sig, you'll be unrooted and stock.:)

I woke up this morning and my phone was not able to be turned on. I am going into a verizon store tomorrow morning to exchange for a new phone and I need to unroot it before this. Can anyone help me out with the procedure to unroot my phone without using the screen?

bleetness

Reaction score
That reminds me, The old droid I sent VZW was rooted O_O But I havent gotten a call or anything, Just a text that says they recieved it. Am I ****ed?