Help! How do I turn off Voice Readout of Texts?

HandyMS

Reaction score
Today my phone suddenly started voice readout of all incoming texts. I never changed a single setting on my phone today. The phone was lying in the same place today as yesterday...yesterday it wasn't reading out my texts and today it is. I have had issues with my phone from Day 1. Things are constantly changing on it...it turns things off/on by itself and I just don't get it. I have gone to every place on my Droid X I can think of to turn this off. My husband has tried to turn it off. I don't want this function active, so how do I turn it off? :icon_eek: I have been to Voice Output, then Text-to-Speech, then found the Pico TTS suddenly turned on and there is NO way to turn it OFF. We've tried everything we can think of and it stays ON.

Last edited:

droidman101

Reaction score
if you have any apps installed that are supposed to "increase speed" or to make your phone "more safe" (like taskillers and/or antivirus programs) remove them, since your phone kills unnecessary tasks(by itself) way better than those apps, and linux OS's cant get viruses

OP
H

HandyMS

Reaction score
I'm not understanding what task killer has to do with the voice readout. And I have no antivirus programs on there. I've had task killer on there for weeks and the automatic voice readout just started this afternoon. I went to the Voice Output Text-to-Speech setting and the Pico TTS is turned on and there is NO way to turn it OFF. We've tried. It won't let us! I've even been to Pico TTS and tried Force Stop (won't work) and Uninstall (won't work!) Nothing works!

Last edited:

droidman101

Reaction score
I'm not understanding what task killer has to do with the voice readout. And I have no antivirus programs on there. I've had task killer on there for weeks and the automatic voice readout just started this afternoon. I went to the Voice Output Text-to-Speech setting and the Pico TTS is turned on and there is NO way to turn it OFF. We've tried. It won't let us!

taskillers usually just screw around with random stuff, but if youre having issues that you cant fix bring it to verizon and tell them your issue and theyll fix it

OP
H

HandyMS

Reaction score
I think I found the problem. I had installed Vlingo. It had turned on the text-to-speech. I uninstalled it and sent a text to myself from my husband's phone and it didn't do the voice readout! Don't install Vlingo...it will randomly turn on your text-to-speech. Finally...my phone is fixed! dancedroid

Last edited:

Crayzitalian3

Reaction score
I recently had the same problem. I was flipping out lol. I finally found this thread and realized I installed Vlingo and had the speech thing on. Turned it off and now my hairs aren't turning white anymore :)

OP
H

HandyMS

Reaction score
I recently had the same problem. I was flipping out lol. I finally found this thread and realized I installed Vlingo and had the speech thing on. Turned it off and now my hairs aren't turning white anymore :)

Not long after I posted, I found my culprit was also Vlingo! It demon possessed my phone so I killed it! :icon_ banana:

TheBeastNme

Reaction score
How to turn off caller ID readout

Today my phone suddenly started voice readout of all incoming texts. I never changed a single setting on my phone today. The phone was lying in the same place today as yesterday...yesterday it wasn't reading out my texts and today it is. I have had issues with my phone from Day 1. Things are constantly changing on it...it turns things off/on by itself and I just don't get it. I have gone to every place on my Droid X I can think of to turn this off. My husband has tried to turn it off. I don't want this function active, so how do I turn it off? :icon_eek: I have been to Voice Output, then Text-to-Speech, then found the Pico TTS suddenly turned on and there is NO way to turn it OFF. We've tried everything we can think of and it stays ON.

Menu > Call Settings > Caller ID Readout > Ring Only

Also, you can over-ride apps by setting text-to-speech (TTS) to "Always use my settings"